QL wish list for 2013

A place to discuss general QL issues.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL wish list for 2013

Post by tofro »

"Invalid Parameter" when trying to start an executable job is a hint that you (or someone else) lost the _exe file header during transit.

Do the sexec dance:

Code: Select all

a = respr (fsize \win1_emacs_exe)
lbytes win1_emacs_exe,a
sexec win1_emacs_new_exe,a,fsize \win1_emacs_exe,8192
(like that, from memory, I guess 8K of data space should be OK)

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Mr_Navigator wrote:
tofro wrote:Note you need the PE for umacs.

If you have, simply type "ex emacs" ;)

Tobias
if only, I assume QPC2 is OK for the PE, the result of EX EMACS is 'invalid parameter
You need to remember when downloading QL files, to unzip them on the QL as the PC version of unzip will strip the QL file header from the executable files, resulting in bad parameter when you try to execute them.

:)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QEMACS

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

You need to download from web page: http://qdos.free.fr/download.html

Emacs v4.00 and an update 18, the "ctags" program that will perform the highlighting.

Please see the Extract from the Download page:

MicroEmacs v4.00 (26/09/00 release) (903 Kb, 09/26/00) : MicroEmacs v4.00 QDOS / SMS port (screenshot here ) with menus and Support for FileInfo II, QMenu (file selector and scrap) "The Shell" and "syntax highlighting"! Ported to QDOS / SMS and extended by Thierry Godefroy ...

MicroEmacs v4.00 update 18 (516 Kb, 26/09/00): For Those Who Already donwloaded a previous release.

ctags v4.0.3a (251 Kb, 08/08/00): Exuberant ctags is a "tag" files generator (for use with MicroEmacs). Now Understands (structured) S (uper) BASIC ("_BAS", "_sbas" and "_ssb" files). Ported by: Thierry Godefroy.

Derek

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have not used CTAGS in a long time, once the "tag" file has been generated, Emacs can find required Syntax by loading the required Tag Page file.

This maybe not what you are after.

But it is free and worht having to play around with.

But QD does it better, but I like to use emacs...

Derek

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QEMACS

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote: You need to download from web page: http://qdos.free.fr/download.html
Emacs v4.00 and an update 18, the "ctags" program that will perform the highlighting.
Looking at this laterally, there is also a superbasic.vim syntax rules file from Marcos Cruz's website http://programandala.net/en.program.sup ... yntax_file. Marcos writes about it on his website:

I wrote the following Vim syntax file in order to write SuperBASIC code more comfortably with my favourite editor. I used the basic.vim syntax file maintained by Allan Kelly, already included with the program

To answer the question "what the QL is VIM?", I quote here from the VIM website at http://www.vim.org/about.php:

Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing. It is an improved version of the vi editor distributed with most UNIX systems.
Vim is often called a "programmer's editor," and so useful for programming that many consider it an entire IDE*. It's not just for programmers, though. Vim is perfect for all kinds of text editing, from composing email to editing configuration files.

*IDE=Integrated Development Environment.

Although I don't do Linux, and so have never used this, it does appear to allow you to edit QL programs with some degree of syntax checking, with versions of VIM available for Unix, Windows, Mac, Amiga etc etc. Might be handy for someone wanting to write QL BASIC programs on another computer.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

The screen dump shows you are executing the program from a DOS drive. Unless you have extra software in place (such as Malcolm Lear's QPConDOS software from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/files/index.html ) DOS drives don't save the executable file headers. The QDOSMS doesn't really have an error message to indicate missing executable file headers, hence it uses the nearest suitable (hah!) message of 'bad parameter'.

You just need to put a copy without missing header on a WIN drive.

Of course, with SMSQmulator you have the SFA drives where you can store executables on a native OS drive!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

QL VIM

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dilwyn,

The point I was making, is editing of QL SBasic files in a QL based environment, not Windows, DOS or Linux.

I suppse VIM could be ported and the Syntax file could used quite easily.

I will look at the sources to VIM to see if this can be done. :P

Derek

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Oh, yes I know you were replying in a QL context - I was just tryng to offer another type of solution that's all.

Good luck with looking at the VIM sources. - it'll be great if it can be done.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I managed to run the EMACS editor without a pointer environment on QemuLator quite easily from a DOS drive, used the folder with QPC2 (separately of course) same error as before. Anyway I looked at the EMACS and this wasn't doing what I wanted so have now moved on to trying VIM (the Unix based editor not the sink scrubbing powder famously challenging Ajax in my youth). I will see how that goes... :geek:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:I managed to run the EMACS editor without a pointer environment on QemuLator quite easily from a DOS drive, used the folder with QPC2 (separately of course) same error as before. Anyway I looked at the EMACS and this wasn't doing what I wanted so have now moved on to trying VIM (the Unix based editor not the sink scrubbing powder famously challenging Ajax in my youth). I will see how that goes... :geek:
QemuLator modifies QL executables to add a "header" when it saves them on a a 'DOS' drive (I think it refers to that as Native File Access). QPC doesn't do that, it just stores them as they are and Windows duly loses the file headers. Be aware that QemuLator modifies executable files when they are stored on a hard disk, so never try to run a QL executable through QPC2 DOS drive from a QemuLator native folder - QPC2 doesn't understand how QemuLator modifies executables to preserve the executable file info.