Blast from the Past

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Blast from the Past

Post by RWAP »

I have today received an email from Richard Alexander, former owner of CGH Services.

I have asked him about making his magazines available on the net - is there anything else anyone else would like to ask? :)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Blast from the Past

Post by vanpeebles »

That is fantastic news! It would be great to get the QL Adventurers Forum on general show. Have you asked about any games or software etc?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

He wanted to sell his QL stuff, so I have emailed him for a list.

I have asked him about Funfear, the Di-Ren software and whether he has the original files for QLAF etc... So we shall see

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Ask Richard if he knows where Steve Sutton is! (ACT Author)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Richard says it would be fine to put these online - although he is not sure that he has the copyright to all the articles, so just put a note saying the publisher gave permission but if any writer objects then you'll remove anything they wrote. should cover you.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Superb news! I'll get cracking :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I have today received an email from Richard Alexander, former owner of CGH Services.

I have asked him about making his magazines available on the net - is there anything else anyone else would like to ask? :)
Please pass him my regards, after all the cooperation I enjoyed with him back in DJC days - his
(t)rusty photocopier used to produce some of the old DJC software manuals.

I have an old CGH catalogue in my collection if you'd like to borrow that to go through it to ask him if he is still in contact with some of the software authors to get permission to re-release some of the software.

I have a complete (I think) collection of Richard's QL mags, including QL Adventurers FOrum, QL Technical Review and the Leisure Reveiew. I did lend them to vanpeebles (I think, or was it Rob?) last year to scan them in the hope we would eventually get permission to release them. Sounds from his email as though vanpeebles is already on the case :geek:

Apologies to Rich too - I have had some software from him to put up on my website games page and never had the time to convert them from QemuLator format. It's a long story - my QemuLator shared QXL.WIN with my QPC2 and once that grew to over 800MB in size it gave me a huge headache until I can get time to make a working QemuLator setup again. It was really handy having them share QXL.WIN as it made transfers between the two systems really easy, but now I can't access the QPC2 one since it grew so big, so I'll have to try to find another quick and simple way in future.

The next Helpline column in Quanta will be a QemuLator special, so if you have QemuLator specific questions to ask, let me know sometime today (sorry, short notice, it's the only day off I have in the next couple of weeks to do the column!) and I'll try to see if I can get replies into that column.

Dilwyn

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Yep it was me :) I'm getting there just a case of converting the scans to PDFs and a few little changes. So with thanks to Rich and Dilwyn (and Richard of course) everyone will get to enjoy these excellent magazines again.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Sorting my way through them now, I noticed in the second issue it says "Please feel free to give copies of QLAF to friends etc as all material is anti-copyright (unless stated otherwise in the relevant text.) :lol:

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:Sorting my way through them now, I noticed in the second issue it says "Please feel free to give copies of QLAF to friends etc as all material is anti-copyright (unless stated otherwise in the relevant text.) :lol:
As ever with putting up old PD software or old mags like this you may get people asking you to remove certain items within it, be prepared for that. And it may be prudent to consider removing addresses and personal information where practical.

Dilwyn