Advanced QL User Guide

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Advanced QL User Guide

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:When I was at work and needed to shut down a system, we used to ask if it was still used. We never got replies, so couldn't shut it down willy-nilly.

After a few occasions of net getting anywhere, we simply sent an email around everyone saying "Application XXXX is obviously, no longer used, and so, will be shut down on <insert date> and removed from the system.". Amazingly, we used to get replies saying"hang on, I use that every week, you can't shut it down." -- sometimes you simply have to be devious/evil!

Cheers,
Norm.
Drifting a bit off-topic with this of course Norman - I'm on the committee of a few (non-QL) organisations. We recently had an issue with punctuality of membership renewals in one of them. A deadline had been set, but even fellow committee members were a bit laid back about it and it was causing a lot of time and effort sending out reminders etc etc. So what I did (as admin) was those who hadn't paid by the deadline got taken off our Whatsapp chat group punctually, now that they were technically non-members. For some reason, that immediately got results when it affected them!

Derek: I don't really know what you should do with this. Maybe keep pestering them a few times might ultimately get a response, if you have the patience. Otherwise, now that the work is done, hold on to the work until someone somewhere gives or gets the go-ahead for it to be released. This is what we do with the QL software we have preserved - we daren't release most of it without permission, but people like Rich have done some great work tracking people down so that the stuff can eventually be re-released freely or commercially. At least once preserved, it's ready to go when permission is ultimately obtained.

It's tempting to say look at the number of sites that release stuff as "abandonware" and such like, and how many of them didn't get shut down as long as it was shown that no profit was being made. However, those with legal training and those who work in the computer industry would presumably say a very firm *NO* to that approach too.

What I would say is that should you decide to release it without permission, be prepared to have to remove it very quickly if told to do so!

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Just for reference, his BBC manual is freely available on many sites... I haven't found any direct contact, and getting a reply through the company might be difficult. His (maybe) son Nigel is on LinkedIn. But apart from that probably nobody will care anyway.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

What you could do is send a letter, recorded delivery perhaps -- to show that they have definitely received it -- and ask them politely if it is permitted for you to make your scan available, with the updates. Inform them that if you don't hear back with 3 months (industry runs slowly!) you will assume that they have no objections.

Remind them that their copyright still exists in the original work but that you will acknowledge their contribution to the QL user community in the document if they are kind enough to allow you to make it available.

The problem is, even if you don't hear back from them, and you publish, they can still come after you. Granted you have a get out clause -- which might work, but don't rely on it -- there's no legal requirement for them to answer within your timescales and, the content of the document you have produced is still under their copyright. Unless copyright has reverted back to Adrian Dickens of course.

It's a minefield! Watch where you step.

Dilwyn's advice above is very good.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

NormanDunbar wrote:Unless copyright has reverted back to Adrian Dickens of course.
Adder is *his* company. They just do KVM switches and stuff instead of books nowadays. He's still the CEO, no third party involved.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks Marcel. I wasn't aware of this fact.

Cheers,
Norm.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The book was published by Adder Publications.

Adder Publishing began in 1984 and was rebranded as Adder Technology in 1986.

So does the rebanding transfer the copyright to the new company brand

The details of Adder Technology are detailed on their web site:
https://www.adder.com/en/about-us

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I don't know Derek.

I assume that this was just a rebranding, so assets etc are still owned by Adder Technology.

If it was a "buy out", then the assets will probably have been "bought" as well.

The only way to resolve this matter is for Adder to communicate.

Cheers,
Norm.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

Thank you for the information.

I have posted a comment on LinkedIn, on the Adder Technology company page on the most recent posting, maybe off-topic. But it is the only way to enter a message to anyone on LinkedIn, without paying £79.99 monthly fee.

I have also send message via their Company Product Support page.

If this fails, I will give hem a telephone call to see if I can talk to Adrian.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thank you Derek. Good luck with your efforts.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks for all your efforts Derek. I'm in full agreement with Dilwyn here.

Cheers,
Norm.