Windows 10 Home S

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Windows 10 Home S

Post by dilwyn »

Quick question: anyone successfully used QPC2 on one of those cheap little laptops with Windows 10 Home in S Mode (which I presume is a cut down version of Windows 10)?

EDIT: After I asked that, I realised that W10S mode only allows verified apps from the M$ store, so I guess the answer will be "highly unlikely" :(

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Windows 10 Home S

Post by tofro »

I have an "MS Surface Go 2" micro laptop/tablet that I use with QPC2 - MS included a free upgrade to "Windows 10 Pro", however (they do the same with the new Surface Go 3 and Windows 11).

The Surface Go computers have a really nice 3:2 screen ratio that fits QPC emulation really well (and I really like that combination).

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I think you can turn the 'S' mode off, So it turns into a regular Windows 10. But it's a one way operation. You can't turn the 'S' mode back on again.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Martin_Head wrote:I think you can turn the 'S' mode off, So it turns into a regular Windows 10. But it's a one way operation. You can't turn the 'S' mode back on again.
I'd seen an article showing how to turn off S mode, although it didn't explain it was a one way thing. Thanks Martin.

Reason I asked this in the first place was a temptation to buy one of those ultra cheap small screen laptops to carry about with me as a portable QL. For situations where my normal laptop might be too bulky, overkill or might get stolen or damaged.

All I'd want from such a device would be internet access and to run QPC2, speed and small storage not an issue - and to be able to shove it into a rucksack or suitcase, e.g. when I stay at my son's place or go on holiday.

I used to have a little Zoostorm mini-laptop (I think they were called netbooks?) back in the days of Windows 7, which I used a lot when going with my late wife to have stands at craft fairs, or to QL meetings. The Zoostorm was so cheap it wasn't the end of the world if it got stolen or damaged. But it developed all sorts of problems and repairs would have cost much more than buying a new one. Incidentally, that little Zoostorm is still here somewhere if anyone wants it for spares - it needs a new hard drive and motherboard battery.