A place to discuss general QL issues.
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: QL wishlist for 2011

Post by Mr_Navigator »

But this does look cool and a more modern QL
Attachments
SDC1_.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

robheaton wrote:
RWAP wrote: You should have a look at the HxC Floppy Disk Emulator which is a kind of half-way house - see http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... es%29-1140
That does look pretty good, would this also work with BBC & Archimedes machines?

As for QL Hardware, I would love to see QUANTA do another run of Super Gold Cards! :mrgreen:

or something similar, or something better hmmnnn...

If there are any keen hobbyists/QL enthusiasts that have just won (or already have the equivalent is cash) the euro-lottery and want something to do then please build the following system:

Duo-Quad Core Processor (each core running at 2.3 Ghz)
Quad core Processor Graphics Card - Two independent outputs
16 Gigabyte fast memory
Multi-boot bios with built pointers to QDOS/MESS/PC/MAC/LINUX
8 USB slots, 2 SD Slots, various standard ports/WiFi/Bluetooth/wireless/network etc
graphic outputs include HDMI(2) Scart, composite, VGA and the other one
no CD/DVD
oh and a mouse/touch-pad device

Failing that could you at-least provide a complete replacement board that goes inside the existing QL and utilises the existing holes for connections but modern ones

I think that about does it for now, thanks Santa, sorry for the late letter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Mr_Navigator wrote:Failing that could you at-least provide a complete replacement board that goes inside the existing QL and utilises the existing holes for connections but modern ones.
That's my wish too. The most "pure" yet also the least likely ;)

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

I have thought deeply about the USB and SD Card controller for QL.
The I2C bus will be perfect for this and MInerva MkII has the I2C onboard.
I have examined the Minerva MkI and realised, that it is prepared for upgrade to MkII (just add the PCF8583, crystal and some resistors).
The Minerva board seems to be easily replicable.
This will allow to connect the USBwizOEM board with USB host controller and SD card reader via I2C.

The question is:
does anybody know, how exactly I have to populate the Minerva board? Any schematics or parts placement?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

dex wrote: I have examined the Minerva MkI and realised, that it is prepared for upgrade to MkII (just add the PCF8583, crystal and some resistors)..... This will allow to connect the USBwizOEM board with USB host controller and SD card reader via I2C.
Just a warning that not all Minerva carrier PCBs are the same - some were just slightly larger than the original chip - it was only once Minerva MKII was developed that the enlarged PCB was available.

Would there be much of a speed benefit to connecting the USBWiz via I2C rather than serial ports - especially if you are thinking SuperHERMES high speed serial?
dex wrote: The question is:
does anybody know, how exactly I have to populate the Minerva board? Any schematics or parts placement?
For that you would need to ask Tony Firshman....

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Ah, somethings are beginning to come clear and now make sense from the QL-User mail discussion earlier today.

So back to what this thread is about QL Wishlist for 2011

Minerva MKI Upgrade
replaces standard QL ROMs (small circuit board and new ROM).
I would suggest around £40 :D

Minerva MKII Upgrade
replaces standard QL ROMs (small circuit board and new ROM)
with real-time clock and I2C interface.
I would suggest around £65 :lol:

Aurora Replacement Motherboard to fit inside the QL case.
This would provide the original QL with say up to 256 colours and anything up to say around 768x480 screen display mode - of course it may need additional hardware such as the old Gold Card or the old Super Gold Card to work effectively. This motherboard would utilise as many of the existing QL ROMs and chips as needed. :o

Rich?

£110

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Heres my updated wishlist piccy
Attachments
Well we all live in hope
Well we all live in hope

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Mr_Navigator wrote:
Sparrowhawk wrote:What are people looking forward to / hoping for in terms of QL-related software, hardware, events etc for next year?

My list:

- Q-emuLator for iPad (the most likely candidate, since Daniele has already ported it to Mac OS X which runs the same OS kernel underneath). Now that would be very nice indeed.

Unless the speed of the iPad is dramatically improved this is the best you can expect http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46

That's QLAY running under iDOS. So it's the slowest QL emulator running inside another emulator on the iPad. Not what I had in mind.

If Q-emuLator were ported, this would effectively be a native Cocoa app under iOS, so speed would not be an issue. The iPad has I think a 1Ghz ARM-based A4 chip, so it is easily fast enough to run a QL emulator at native speeds or above.

Whether Daniele would be interested in such a project is another matter entirely. The other issue is Apple's policy on writing executables under iOS. It is allowed (I have a Lua interpreter and HotPaw BASIC), but I am not sure what the situation is with emulators.

Of course, the alternative is an Android version - plenty of cheap Android tablets out there which could act as very serviceable QL tablets :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Sparrowhawk wrote:
Whether Daniele would be interested in such a project is another matter entirely. The other issue is Apple's policy on writing executables under iOS. It is allowed (I have a Lua interpreter and HotPaw BASIC), but I am not sure what the situation is with emulators.

Of course, the alternative is an Android version - plenty of cheap Android tablets out there which could act as very serviceable QL tablets :)
I know what you mean, from the small amount I have read of Apple's lengthy SDK Policy document (I didn't have a spare week handy) I think it is also something to do with Peek-ing and Poke-ing around the memory locations using DOS programs in case you - do something to your iPhone that you shouldn't ;) - and bypass their various protection routines. As far as I can see HotPaw doesn't have any commands that do that where as iDOS does and uploading programs to iDOS can have as-well even Windows 1.0, I don't know about Lua as I haven't tried it, is it worth buying Mr S?

Mind you is says something about their policy and the actual approach to authorising apps where iDOS has been available twice now only to be withdrawn again a few hours later, what exactly do they actually test before they allow them in to the App Store I wonder. :?:

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

You know it would be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the year to see how many wishes actually become a reality, looking through the things that people have put, it is apparent that some have been met.

Perhaps in January another similar post for 2012 SparrowHawk?