QL Service Manual

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

QL Service Manual

Post by dilwyn »

After the comments on the Sinclair QL For Everyone group about all the OCR errors in the QL Service Manual last week, an updated version is now available in a variety of formats - PDF and various eBook formats - from my site's eBooks page at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/ebooks/index.html
(on the page, "QL Service Manual" is in the first table).

Sadly, I had no editable version to work from, so I tried several online converters to redo the PDF as an editable Word file. They made such a mess of the layout that it took longer to go through and edit it all than I thought. Some of the original scanned graphics were poor, so I've re-scanned those. As well as the PDF and eBook versions, the original Word document is there too now, in case anyone wants to do further proof reading and correction, although at about 25MB it's nearly 20 times the file size of the other formats.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QL Service Manual

Post by Chr$ »

Also on this subject: does anyone have the "System 2 Test Software" that is referred to in the Service Manual? It includes a colour test screen, checks speaker, net, RS232 etc etc. Would be interesting to have.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

In a bit of a hurry, so haven't got time to check if the attached files are what you want - I have two zip files, one called systest1.zip (4KB) and one called systest2.zip (51KB)

Afraid I can't remember the difference, I'll have to leave that to you. Hope they help.
SYSTEST2.ZIP
SYSTEST1.ZIP
Also, unsure of the copyright status of these.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

The original package of the System Test included a loopback cable to be connectet in Ser1 and Ser2 to test the serial things.

4E75 7000
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

dilwyn wrote:In a bit of a hurry, so haven't got time to check if the attached files are what you want - I have two zip files, one called systest1.zip (4KB) and one called systest2.zip (51KB)

Afraid I can't remember the difference, I'll have to leave that to you. Hope they help.SYSTEST2.ZIPSYSTEST1.ZIP

Also, unsure of the copyright status of these.
Great!

The 2nd one - named SYSTEST1.ZIP - seems to be the test program that the service manual refers to in the section I was looking at - with the test colours, speaker test etc (it trips up on the network test on Qemulator, which is probably to be expected). I'll rem that bit out.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

Hi
As far as I remember, I sent you the software and a picture of the cable. How come you didn’t get it to work? I got the impression that it worked for you or have missed something?
Have a nice day.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

klausfrank wrote:Hi
As far as I remember, I sent you the software and a picture of the cable. How come you didn’t get it to work? I got the impression that it worked for you or have missed something?
Have a nice day.
Me? No, don't think so. Checked previous messages etc, we have had contact but not about that.

klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

Ups - I am very sorry. I got confused in the names Chr$ and Christian. Again - I am very sorry.
Sincerely

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

klausfrank wrote:Ups - I am very sorry. I got confused in the names Chr$ and Christian. Again - I am very sorry.
Sincerely
That's ok! I also changed my avatar recently, so don't look myself ;)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I downloaded the updated PDF file and loaded it into Libre office Draw, which loads it as a presentation.

I should be able to update the text entries and any picture files.

Does the file require to be changed to another format?

Regards,

Derek