What was Sinclair doing in the 1930s?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

What was Sinclair doing in the 1930s?

Post by RWAP »

Well, I know the QL has been around a while, but even I was shocked to see that it has been in use in a 1930s household !!

Actually, I received a bunch of QL stuff, amongst which I have found a QL PSU with a round 2 pin plug made from brown Bakerlite (a type of early plastic) - the plug appears to have a date stamp on it of 1934. No fuse inside the plug and the wires simply push through the two metal pins, which are then pushed down to try and clamp them in place!!

Yes the wires are not that secure!

OK, so I know the QL itself dates from the 1980s, but presumably the house where it was being used had not been re-wired in 40 years or so...

It got me thinking - what's the oldest bit of equipment that has been in practical use with the QL ??

:D
Attachments
100_1074.JPG
100_1075.JPG
100_1073.JPG

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: What was Sinclair doing in the 1930s?

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Ah! the good old days, my parents house had three types of round pin socket, 3 pin big mother 16A for electric fires, 2/3 pin of the size in your photograph used for light stands, irons and radios 10A and tiny 3 pin round for table light around 5A I think, maybe smaller. There were no other electrical or electronic home items in those days, then my parents bought a fridge wow cold stuff, maybe a year or two later they could afford a semiautomatic washing machine that had this big red plastic serrated card that you slotted in the machine for the programme you wanted. I blew many a plug (yes plug not fuse) trying to prise it out of an un-switched socket live, none of this isolated lark and finger protected shuttered stuff you have nowadays. I also managed to blow the main fuse for the house several times and electrocuted myself more than I can recall before the age of 16, where I left school to become an electrician. Irony doesn't begin to explain half of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Mr_Navigator wrote: and electrocuted myself more than I can recall before the age of 16, where I left school to become an electrician. Irony doesn't begin to explain half of it.
Well: They say you get used to it after you've touched a live wire several times......
Should probably have a sign like this:
Shock.png
Shock.png (91.12 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
(Comes from a Chninese lathe I happened to come by)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Well: They say you get used to it after you've touched a live wire several times......
Yep until at work one day, I managed 415V :shock: which really did throw me halfway across a room :arrow: , I was badly shaken up and have the scars to prove it. (any more cliché put here) :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

What an odd plug to have on a PSU. I wonder if it plugged into an extension and into the light socket :lol:

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Just a little more advanced than the standard wiring used here in the US today!