Sinclair/QJUMP QEPIII Eprom programmer

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RalfR
Aurora

Re: Sinclair/QJUMP QEPIII Eprom programmer

Post by RalfR »

Chr$ wrote:Thanks for the comments. I did find the instruction PDF, which is very useful.

Just for fun and to explore the software, I attempted to use the ROM data that I took from the original chip in Qemulator as an "ext. ROM", but it didn't do anything - no boot message and of course no reaction when entering 'eprom'. I expect one of you will know instantly why that is, not that it's important, I was just messing around.
Perhaps it checks the existence of the firmware.

4E75 7000
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The ROM in the QEPIII is 'jumbled' so if you read it using another eprom reader it will make no sense as a QL ROM, - if you sbytes the ROM when the card is in the QL, it will give you a valid ROM - I believe there was a program on Dilwyns site to unscramble the ROM image to a standard ROM layout.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

a quick test with the unscrambled ROM shows it does load the banner and the eprom keyword is there - but typing it hands the emulator, as the hardware doesn't exist

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Pr0f wrote:The ROM in the QEPIII is 'jumbled' so if you read it using another eprom reader it will make no sense as a QL ROM, - if you sbytes the ROM when the card is in the QL, it will give you a valid ROM - I believe there was a program on Dilwyns site to unscramble the ROM image to a standard ROM layout.
Gotcha, thanks. So that was some kind of copy protection?

(reminder to self: SBYTES dev_filename,48*1024,16*1024 should be the correct location/length to save the QEPIII ROM data - that is correct?)

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Chr$ wrote:
Pr0f wrote:The ROM in the QEPIII is 'jumbled' so if you read it using another eprom reader it will make no sense as a QL ROM, - if you sbytes the ROM when the card is in the QL, it will give you a valid ROM - I believe there was a program on Dilwyns site to unscramble the ROM image to a standard ROM layout.
Gotcha, thanks. So that was some kind of copy protection?

(reminder to self: SBYTES dev_filename,48*1024,16*1024 should be the correct location/length to save the QEPIII ROM data - that is correct?)
Not really - it was done to simplify the pcb tracking on the board, and I think that's why they then offered the jumble pins feature - which means the data lines for the device can be connected in any order, as long as each is unique, and likewise the address lines.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The unscrambled eprom layout is here:
Attachments
QEP3v108.zip
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Pr0f wrote:The unscrambled eprom layout is here:
Thanks. I'll sbytes mine and then at least I have something to compare it to, to make sure I did it right.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
QViewStu
ROM Dongle

Post by QViewStu »

Campfire memories - the in house production Minerva(e) were born on a QEPIII. Including the ones that went round twice on the first production batch for the Papworth QL show where we debuted. At 2 am Lau discovered a bug in his code we had to fix…

Thinking maybe I should write a Tales from the QView memoir while I can still remember…

One third of the original QView Minerva crew.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

QViewStu wrote:Campfire memories - the in house production Minerva(e) were born on a QEPIII. Including the ones that went round twice on the first production batch for the Papworth QL show where we debuted. At 2 am Lau discovered a bug in his code we had to fix…

Thinking maybe I should write a Tales from the QView memoir while I can still remember…
The production of Minerva was one of the greatest developments for thr QL.

I used to logon to Lau BBS: Lau Place to talk to him about Minerva.

I would interested in reading the Qview memiors.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

QViewStu wrote:Thinking maybe I should write a Tales from the QView memoir while I can still remember…
I'd like that :-)