Quanta CD

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Quanta CD

Post by Pr0f »

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this or if it should go in another forum section - please feel free to move it.

The question - The Quanta CD - it's encrypted and their is presumably a password for that - how does one obtain this? Is there a payment to be made ? I've joined (or think I've joined) the quanta group - but was not asked to pay any membership there - as it's apparently now free.

I understand that those that may have paid subscriptions would rightly be a bit miffed if they've had to fork out and others are coming in free to get full access - so I suppose my question is - is there a paid for section in the forum (I couldn't find it), or a way of paying for the CD key / password if there is a charge, and if there is not - does someone know what that passkey is ?

Many thanks,

Pr0f / Dave.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Quanta CD

Post by dilwyn »

PM sent to explain.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Interestingly enough, I rejoined Quanta a good while back, Prof's post above reminded me!

I was not asked for any payment either, yipee! As a Scotsman living in Yorkshire, that ticks all my boxes ;) Seriously though, I have not received any confirmation of my membership, not have I received a PDF Quanta Magazine. Is there a way that I can confirm that I have indeed, rejoined?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

NormanDunbar wrote:Seriously though, I have not received any confirmation of my membership, not have I received a PDF Quanta Magazine. Is there a way that I can confirm that I have indeed, rejoined?
Same here, actually. Never heard anything back.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

I joined Quanta in 2018 (and payed the annual fee). I never received any confimation from them but I have received 6 magazines by email , last one in March 2020, labeled Quanta V36 I5 - Dec-Jan 2019 - and nothing since.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I've sent a few emails to Quanta and received no replies. The last, back in March, was to ask to switch to the free PDF membership.

I think my next membership renewal is due next month, So I will see what happens then.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Martin_Head wrote:I've sent a few emails to Quanta and received no replies. The last, back in March, was to ask to switch to the free PDF membership.

I think my next membership renewal is due next month, So I will see what happens then.
Membership is definitely free now, as long as you're willing to take the PDF newsletters when they emerge.

You can opt to pay for printed copies, but I don't know off hand what the cost is.

Although I'm still on Quanta committee, I'm not actively involved day to day other than providing news columns when reminded to do so.

If any Quanta members need the Quanta CD password after downloading it, I can supply that if you have difficulty getting a response. Unfortunately, although I'd have liked the library to be free to all, it is still restricted to members only as few of the software authors have given permission to make freely available (many are uncontactable nowadays anyway).

ajb
ROM Dongle

Post by ajb »

My experience is similar. I've submitted the "Join Quanta" form twice, the first months ago, the second recently having heard nothing. As the silence persisted I used the contact page to ask (IIRC) the membership secretary for advice. The result was an email from the chairman saying that during the lockdown they've not held any meetings nor written any magazines, and that they'd contact me again as soon as they're up and running.

Understandable, but it still left me unclear as to whether I was a member without access (to, for example, the CD) or wouldn't be a member until the committee/group is functional again.

Alan

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

ajb wrote:My experience is similar. I've submitted the "Join Quanta" form twice, the first months ago, the second recently having heard nothing. As the silence persisted I used the contact page to ask (IIRC) the membership secretary for advice. The result was an email from the chairman saying that during the lockdown they've not held any meetings nor written any magazines, and that they'd contact me again as soon as they're up and running.

Understandable, but it still left me unclear as to whether I was a member without access (to, for example, the CD) or wouldn't be a member until the committee/group is functional again.

Alan
Same: I also submitted my registration request twice and have not heard anything. TBH I thought that perhaps QUANTA had closed down for good. Nice to hear that it's only hibernating. I'm assuming that I am not a member until I hear back though - do you need a membership number to access the QUANTA subforums?

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The link on the Quanta website to download the Quanta CD no longer works and I guess new members still cannot sign up to Quanta.

Is the library CD still unavailable?