Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Post by RWAP »

Chr$ wrote:whenever I do a 'format ram1_mdv1_' it always seems to spin up mdv2_ and copy that drive to RAM instead of mdv1_.

Very odd. Obviously because I know it's going to happen I just put whatever I want to copy to ram in mdv2_.
Possibly it is the trailing underscore - correct commadn is

Code: Select all

FORMAT ram1_mdv1

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

RWAP wrote:
Chr$ wrote:whenever I do a 'format ram1_mdv1_' it always seems to spin up mdv2_ and copy that drive to RAM instead of mdv1_.

Very odd. Obviously because I know it's going to happen I just put whatever I want to copy to ram in mdv2_.
Possibly it is the trailing underscore - correct commadn is

Code: Select all

FORMAT ram1_mdv1
It's works either way doesn't it? I seem to remember it working with or without, normally.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
mlasham
ROM Dongle

Post by mlasham »

Andrew wrote:
mlasham wrote:vmap only allows mdv1 and mdv2 to be mapped to the internal drives, or ext1 or ext2 - so mdv3-8 cannot be mapped to mdv1 from what I can see.
That is not true - vMap modes 3 to 8 will map the internal drives as mdv3 -8
See the chart in the vMap manual https://vdrivezx.files.wordpress.com/20 ... manual.pdf
I understand that, but that was not my question.
If I map a vdrive to mdv3 thats fine.
But the s/w on the image wants to be mdv1
If I setup a bank with mdv1-6 assigned to vdrives for the images, most just want to be mdv1.
I think a menu program is requrired which gives a list of images, and loads which ever is selected to mdv1.
failing that I have to edit every image to change the BASIC code to load from mdv1

hope that makes sense :)

mlasham
ROM Dongle

Post by mlasham »

Andrew wrote:
mlasham wrote:vmap only allows mdv1 and mdv2 to be mapped to the internal drives, or ext1 or ext2 - so mdv3-8 cannot be mapped to mdv1 from what I can see.
That is not true - vMap modes 3 to 8 will map the internal drives as mdv3 -8
See the chart in the vMap manual https://vdrivezx.files.wordpress.com/20 ... manual.pdf
I understand that, but that was not my question.
If I setup a bank with mdv1-6 assigned to vdrives for the images, most just want to be mdv1.
I think a menu program is requrired which gives a list of images, and loads which ever is selected to mdv1.
failing that I have to edit every image to change the BASIC code to load from mdv1

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

mlasham wrote: I understand that, but that was not my question.

You can use vMap mode 3 to 9 - so mdv1_ will be mapped to a vDrive
Load vDrive Toolkit - I copied it from vDrive to a directory on my SD-drive and I load it at start-up, in boot. This will extend SuperBasic with all commands for vDrive
Then to load an image 'MyImg' to vDrive 1 simply use command LD 1, 'MyIMG'

Of course, you can write a menu program to select banks and load images to specific vDrive mdv_,
(I don't usually use banks - I just load images using LD comand; CD 'dir' to change directory; LS to list the images in the directory etc. )