Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

A place to discuss general QL issues.
User avatar
SinclairSociety
Over Heated PSU
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby SinclairSociety » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:32 am

It was Sinclair QL time for me again.. and today I finally found a moment to create a video showing how to load and use downloaded microdrive images made for the vDrive.

I load Vanpeebles (P. Scott) game called 198? and also quickly play and die with Packman. haha.

Hope this is helpful for some.

https://youtu.be/OIYVolL5wnM

TJ


Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
User avatar
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli
Posts: 2615
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: North East UK

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby vanpeebles » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Haha, that was good! :D


User avatar
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:54 am
Location: Frankfurt/Germany

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby grafvonb » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:59 pm

SinclairSociety wrote:It was Sinclair QL time for me again..

And as usual it was just ingenious :D !


Loving QL & ZX Spectrum & Amiga...
User avatar
bwinkel67
Super Gold Card
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09 am

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby bwinkel67 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:01 pm

SinclairSociety wrote:It was Sinclair QL time for me again.. and today I finally found a moment to create a video showing how to load and use downloaded microdrive images made for the vDrive.


You don't really need to load the boot file on the vDrive unless you need to use more than 6 MDV images in a session. As long as you can remember the MDV images you've assigned to the current bank then just boot up the QL and your MDV3 to MDV8 are there to be used as normal MDV drives (i.e. dir mdv3_ will work right from reset/reboot).

I find it easier to just edit the VDRIVEQL.CFG file on the SD card on my PC/MAC in a text editor (i.e. Notepad) and then when I'm using the SD card on the QL I just have to remember the mapping of the 6 MDV's I have for that session.

Code: Select all

[SETUP]
Bank3

[Bank2]
MISC\MDV1.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV4.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV5.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV6.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV7.MDV      ;
MISC\MDV8.MDV      ;


[Bank3]
GAMES\Assault.MDV  ;
GAMES\Cavern.mdv   ;
GAMES\MCosmic.MDV  ;
GAMES\MCrunch.MDV  ;
GAMES\Metropol.MDV ;
GAMES\MTreasur.MDV ;


[Bank4]
GAMES\Qbert.MDV    ;
GAMES\QLGames.mdv  ;
GAMES\Speed.MDV    ;
GAMES\Spook.MDV    ;
GAMES\3DOXO.MDV    ;
GAMES\ATTACK.MDV   ;


[Bank5]
GAMES\BUGSBOMB.MDV ;
GAMES\CHESS.MDV    ;
GAMES\FROGGY.MDV   ;
GAMES\GUNNER.MDV   ;
GAMES\PACMAN.MDV   ;
GAMES\PALADIN.MDV  ;


[Bank6]
GAMES\PUDGE.MDV    ;
GAMES\QBALL.MDV    ;
GAMES\Qbert2.MDV   ;
GAMES\QGAMES.MDV   ;
GAMES\SPACEINV.MDV ;
GAMES\SPACEPOD.MDV ;


[Bank7]
GAMES\SPACERAI.MDV ;
GAMES\STARBURS.MDV ;
GAMES\STARPORT.MDV ;
GAMES\WIPEOUT.MDV  ;
GAMES\ZAPMAN.MDV   ;


[Bank8]
MISC\OTHER.MDV     ;
MISC\SOURCE.MDV    ;
MISC\DIGIC.MDV     ;


So the name of the bank that appears at the top after [SETUP] is the current bank (and the entries in the list for each bank map to MDV3 through MDV8 in order). Simply change it to the name of the other banks...and the label Bank#, with # being a number, is just my internal formatting, you can call it anything you like. I also organizes things into folders on the SD card and simply give path names (so in the CFG file above I have a folder called GAMES and one called MISC and all images are within those).

Oh, and a better Pacman is Spook (found on SPOOK.MDV from Dilwyn's website).

In any case, vDrive really is simple and seamless with no need for any ROM extensions and one reason I really like it. As long as you are familiar with the standard QL dir, load, lrun, and exec commands you won't even know you have one.


mlasham
ROM Dongle
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 pm

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby mlasham » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:20 pm

bwinkel67 wrote:
SinclairSociety wrote:It was Sinclair QL time for me again.. and today I finally found a moment to create a video showing how to load and use downloaded microdrive images made for the vDrive.


You don't really need to load the boot file on the vDrive unless you need to use more than 6 MDV images in a session. As long as you can remember the MDV images you've assigned to the current bank then just boot up the QL and your MDV3 to MDV8 are there to be used as normal MDV drives (i.e. dir mdv3_ will work right from reset/reboot).

I find it easier to just edit the VDRIVEQL.CFG file on the SD card on my PC/MAC in a text editor (i.e. Notepad) and then when I'm using the SD card on the QL I just have to remember the mapping of the 6 MDV's I have for that session.

So the name of the bank that appears at the top after [SETUP] is the current bank (and the entries in the list for each bank map to MDV3 through MDV8 in order). Simply change it to the name of the other banks...and the label Bank#, with # being a number, is just my internal formatting, you can call it anything you like. I also organizes things into folders on the SD card and simply give path names (so in the CFG file above I have a folder called GAMES and one called MISC and all images are within those).

Oh, and a better Pacman is Spook (found on SPOOK.MDV from Dilwyn's website).

In any case, vDrive really is simple and seamless with no need for any ROM extensions and one reason I really like it. As long as you are familiar with the standard QL dir, load, lrun, and exec commands you won't even know you have one.



How do you get around many of those .mdv images you have assigned to vdrives <> mdv1 that expect the game to be in mdv1_ ?
for example, spook.mdv wants to be on mdv1_

vmap only allows mdv1 and mdv2 to be mapped to the internal drives, or ext1 or ext2 - so mdv3-8 cannot be mapped to mdv1 from what I can see.


User avatar
Andrew
Gold Card
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:05 am

mlasham wrote:vmap only allows mdv1 and mdv2 to be mapped to the internal drives, or ext1 or ext2 - so mdv3-8 cannot be mapped to mdv1 from what I can see.

That is not true - vMap modes 3 to 8 will map the internal drives as mdv3 -8
See the chart in the vMap manual https://vdrivezx.files.wordpress.com/20 ... manual.pdf


Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge
Posts: 2358
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby Derek_Stewart » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 am

Andrew wrote:
mlasham wrote:vmap only allows mdv1 and mdv2 to be mapped to the internal drives, or ext1 or ext2 - so mdv3-8 cannot be mapped to mdv1 from what I can see.

That is not true - vMap modes 3 to 8 will map the internal drives as mdv3 -8
See the chart in the vMap manual https://vdrivezx.files.wordpress.com/20 ... manual.pdf

Hi,

I quite agree wit Andrew here, in that, VMAP n maps the internal MDV, i.e. MDV1, MDV2 to the value of n.

For example VMAP 3, maps MDV1, MDV2 to the VdriveQL MDV3, MDV4

read the manual for more information.


Regards,

Derek
User avatar
Pr0f
Aurora
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby Pr0f » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 am

Love that Sam Coupe!

The VMap is an excellent addition to the Vdrive. Thanks for the video - it gives a good demo of the Vdrive!


User avatar
bwinkel67
Super Gold Card
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09 am

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby bwinkel67 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 pm

mlasham wrote:How do you get around many of those .mdv images you have assigned to vdrives <> mdv1 that expect the game to be in mdv1_ ?
for example, spook.mdv wants to be on mdv1_

vmap only allows mdv1 and mdv2 to be mapped to the internal drives, or ext1 or ext2 - so mdv3-8 cannot be mapped to mdv1 from what I can see.



I don't use vMap but to get a game that's tied to MDV1 to work on another MDV you can always look at the BASIC boot file and edit it. Now some programs have it hardcoded in their binary or executable part and sometimes you can use a hex editor to change that as well. Usually though, like with Spook, you can just edit the BASIC boot file and change it to the new MDV and it works.


User avatar
Chr$
Aurora
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: Sinclair QL vDrive - Load & Use Applications and Games - Video

Postby Chr$ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:11 pm

I seem to have an odd issue with my vDrive/vMap combi (I haven't been in touch with Charlie as it's relatively minor), I wonder if anyone else has experienced it:

Whenever I've been vSwapping to get an mdv image working as mdv1/mdv2 and then revert back to standard setup, even after multiple power cycles, whenever I do a 'format ram1_mdv1_' it always seems to spin up mdv2_ and copy that drive to RAM instead of mdv1_.

Very odd. Obviously because I know it's going to happen I just put whatever I want to copy to ram in mdv2_.


Collector of QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't really understand how they work!
Original QL's: many (plus quite a bit of other old stuff and 170+ original software titles)
Custom XT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
QXLII card installed in a PC
Q40 and Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest