VDrive ZX or QL?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Chr$
Gold Card

Re: VDrive ZX or QL?

Postby Chr$ » Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Ruptor wrote:Thanks for the info. At the moment I have two working MDVs in a dead QL & a Spectrum 48K with no easy method of saving files that it badly needs. If I fix the QL an MDV will get removed anyway for an SD card slot so it would be an ideal swap out. Anyway I thought everybody here was in to tinkering and I am joining in. :lol:

I can flog you a working ZX MD unit! e.g. I have one that works fine in every way, until you fit the top housing, then it fails to be recognised. It must be something pressing down where it shouldn't, I didn't look further. You have the IF2 already?

Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original BBQL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
Ruptor
Over Heated PSU

Postby Ruptor » Thu May 21, 2020 5:09 pm

Chr$ wrote:You have the IF2 already?
Oh what a dipstick when I read an MDV can be plugged in to the Spectrum interface 1 I assumed it was on the board as an edge connector like of the QL so that idea is out the window. :roll: You could sell it on EBay for £30 if you don't want it. :)

Chr$
Gold Card

Postby Chr$ » Thu May 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Ruptor wrote:
Chr$ wrote:You have the IF2 already?
Oh what a dipstick when I read an MDV can be plugged in to the Spectrum interface 1 I assumed it was on the board as an edge connector like of the QL so that idea is out the window. :roll: You could sell it on EBay for £30 if you don't want it. :)

I did wonder about that! Yes, you'll definitely need an IF1 - they tend to be more expensive (I've sold a couple fully working for around £60 each).

Back to the drawing board then. If you want to save Spectrum stuff you may as well get an SD card device like a DivMMC.

Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original BBQL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.