What happened to Nasta ?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: What happened to Nasta ?

Post by Dave »

I last talked with him in 2005. He was at that time moving back to Croatia from the US. Since then, he signed up for and accepted my friend request on FB, but has never updated status or posted there.

He isn't active in the QL community, but I believe he is active in the Citroen community.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

I suppose it's best to get the story from the horses mouth, as they say...
After moving back to Croatia from the US in 2003 (has it been so many years already?!), I worked for a while as a freelance designer for various small companies, and in early 2005 accepted a job as a full time hardware designer/developer at a small company here in Croatia. Due to a rather complex combination of job and private situations (which could be used to write a book or two if only one could make them sound less bizarre and more believable), my involvement with the QL and Citroen scenes waned to almost nothing. One big problem that developed was that even though I could normally receive and read messages on the QL mailing list, I would not answer - or rather, I could, but the answers, it seems, go to little bit heaven. At the moment the QL list server blocks all ISPs available to me, probably because something en-route blocks a bunch of IP addresses. It's rather odd to see one's name mentioned once in a while and questions asked to which you know the answer, but also being unable to reply.
As for FaceBook and the like, i avoid it like the plague that it is and only use ti for contacts I cannot possibly reach in any other way, and only as long as that situation is not resolved in another way. I simply have no time for the antics of various 'social networking sites' that seem to be made for people who do not know what to do with their time and do not have a life (no offense).
Anyway, as of recently I have changed jobs, since my design job became more and more tedious due to company policy interfering with good business, as in 'let's save 500EUR and lose 20000EUR profit in the process, then complain that business is down and there is no money and if this continue we're going to go broke', which meant projects were never truly done. Not to much of a problem if you only work on one project, but if it's 7, then doing anything sensible becomes impossible.
As much as I would like to say this change could somehow get me back as an active member in the QL community, I fear I can offer no such guarantee, as the genre of electronics design I am involved with now is quite different. Still, the QL is an 'old love' of sorts and even though the little gray cells are not what they used to be :) there is a lot of information about the QL and it's developments still floating around in there between my ears, and I will be glad to share it as much as available time lets me. Even though my arguably most ambitious project (GoldFire) never materialized, a LOT of thought has gone into that design and a lot of it is still applicable today, so if anyone is interested, feel free to ask.
There is also a stash of not exactly QL parts, but parts related to QL projects, which I will happily donate for a worthy QL project. Some of these were donated in turn by other QL luminaries past and present and it would be a shame to just have them rot here in a box. I have a number of 68EC060s, various IO chips, video RAM, older style CPLDs, a few Dragonball SZ chips, some Philips USB chips etc etc.
All in all, what can I say - news of my disappearance has been greatly exaggerated :)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I would love to own a Citroen XM here in the US - it would look so.... dashing! My first car was a 70s GS with a rusted through floor... Miss it.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

Brane2 wrote:Your dissapearance had, at elast from my perspective, some criminal and/or "intelligence oriented" overtones.
You dissapeared without a "plop". Your email stopped working, your contacts dissapeared, even Google couldn't find you.
Which means I'm still not completely senile when it comes to the workings of the interweb :)
Actually, most of this was done 'for me' by our illustrious ISPs dabbling in spamming which put them on all sorts of black lists on short order.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

Dave wrote:I would love to own a Citroen XM here in the US - it would look so.... dashing! My first car was a 70s GS with a rusted through floor... Miss it.
It would also be close to suicide :) although they are not that difficult to fix. Best car on the planet, when it works right :)
I still drive a Citroen, but a Xantia. Smaller version of the XM really, without many frills but the V2.0 is a great day to day car - has been for the last 300000+ km. If I could choose, I would not mind the last version of the C5 or even C6 if i really wanted to make people wonder if I'm some sort of a spy or other kind of agent :P

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I always have a wry smile when I see Citroen C5 as it makes me think of my Sinclair C5 :P

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

Brane2 wrote:@Nasta:

Were some of your "problems" related to "blood purity" lines and that couple of our/mine visits ? :roll:
No, not at all. That kind of stupidity,fortunately, never became a problem.