Quanta AGM and QL Workshop 2012

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Quanta AGM and QL Workshop 2012

Post by RWAP »

Just wondered who was planning on attending the Quanta AGM and QL Workshop this year (24th / 25th March), being held in Manchester ? Nice and handy for anyone wanting to attend from abroad and catching a plane!

Don't forget you don't have to be a member of Quanta to come along - all are welcome :D

I have just mentioned it to Adrian Ives, so hope he will attend.

I will be there with some second hand stock, keyboard membranes etc as normal - if there is anything anyone wants me to bring in particular, please let me know.

It is important that as many people as possible attend, particularly as the new constitution will be up for approval.

It would be great to see some of the southern QL users attend for once... (sometimes I think they are afraid of what lies beyond the M25...)

Also - what sort of talks would people like to see?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Quanta AGM and QL Workshop 2012

Post by vanpeebles »

I'd like too but I'm unsure my car would last the journey. The exhaust snapped earlier in the week so I have that to sort out this weekend. :(

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

It is a long journey especially from the SouthEast, but I will be there :)

The two days do seem to go quickly but it is great to catch up with people you normally just converse with by electronic form.

i would like to see anything on new developments, what people do with their QL and get some advice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Just wondered who was planning on attending the Quanta AGM and QL Workshop this year (24th / 25th March), being held in Manchester ? Nice and handy for anyone wanting to attend from abroad and catching a plane!

Don't forget you don't have to be a member of Quanta to come along - all are welcome :D
I have just mentioned it to Adrian Ives, so hope he will attend.
(snip)
It is important that as many people as possible attend, particularly as the new constitution will be up for approval.
(snip)
It would be great to see some of the southern QL users attend for once... (sometimes I think they are afraid of what lies beyond the M25...)
Also - what sort of talks would people like to see?
Ah, Rich beat me to this. I have been too busy trying to update the website (had problems editing and accessing for months, finally sorted after session with Keith after recent Quanta committee meeting) - the news from last year will now trickle out as I get time to catch up.

Rich is right to point out that non-members of Quanta are also welcome to attend the workshop but would obviosuly have no vote at the AGM.

Glad to hear Adrian is thinking of attending - I'll ask him if he'd like to give a talk about his QL products.

As our esteemed editor Mr Navigator is travelling up, southern visitors could probably ask him if he's interested in sharing the travelling, perhaps!

As Rich rightly says, the votes on revision of the Constitution will be a major item on the agenda this year. Please do come along to discuss and vote on this.

Finally, if anyone would like to give a brief talk on any subject, please do get in touch with me to arrange a time and subject. The venue has a small room which can be used and Quanta have a projector which can be connected to a computer which is great for giving talks.

Any questions about the meeting - please contact me or any committee member.

Directions - there's a link to a map on the Quanta website www.quanta.org.uk (basically, a Scout building a short distance from junction 9 of the M60 motorway.

Dilwyn

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:I'd like too but I'm unsure my car would last the journey. The exhaust snapped earlier in the week so I have that to sort out this weekend. :(
You could always come in your Sinclair C5 :twisted:

Dilwyn

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Is there an accommodation for people to attend or present by video link / skype?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Dave wrote:Is there an accommodation for people to attend or present by video link / skype?
A few of us normally stay at the Thistlewood B&B - see
http://www.thethistlewood.co.uk/

There are plenty of other hotels in the area, but as I am not from Manchester, I cannot advise - your best bet is to contact John or Sarah Gilpin (Sarah is the current Chair of Quanta).

As for video link - there is no internet access as such at the show unless someone brings along a mobile phone dongle with internet access - last year, Quanta paid for a top-up of a dongle, so that those giving presentations could use the internet.

If someone wants to give a presentation from overseas via video link - that would be great - although we would need someone with the knowledge to set it up at this end !!

Arrangements need to be made via Quanta itself - only Dilwyn on this board is a member of the committee and he is too far removed (physically) to arrange stuff!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

dilwyn wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:I'd like too but I'm unsure my car would last the journey. The exhaust snapped earlier in the week so I have that to sort out this weekend. :(
You could always come in your Sinclair C5 :twisted:

Dilwyn
Hahaha I'd better set off now! :lol:

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

[quote="RWAPA few of us normally stay at the Thistlewood B&B - see
http://www.thethistlewood.co.uk/

There are plenty of other hotels in the area, but as I am not from Manchester, I cannot advise - your best bet is to contact John or Sarah Gilpin (Sarah is the current Chair of Quanta).[/quote]

Stayed there last year - it's a nice enough little place if a little old fashioned (some might prefer such a place!).
[quote="RWAPAs for video link - there is no internet access as such at the show unless someone brings along a mobile phone dongle with internet access - last year, Quanta paid for a top-up of a dongle, so that those giving presentations could use the internet.
If someone wants to give a presentation from overseas via video link - that would be great - although we would need someone with the knowledge to set it up at this end !!
Arrangements need to be made via Quanta itself - only Dilwyn on this board is a member of the committee and he is too far removed (physically) to arrange stuff![/quote]
That's right - the venue has no broadband. With suitable advance notice we might be able to come to same arrangement for 3G access this year - I'll raise this with Keith and Dan Quanta's web guys) to see if we can arrange this. Would be great to have someone take part from overseas like this.

One of the aspects of the proposed revision to the Quanta constitution means that once accepted it would be "legal" for participation in committee meetings by Skype, for example.

Dilwyn Jones

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

If someone had a netbook with wifi internet they could always post pictures and updates to the forum as well :)