Unexpanded QL Software

A place to discuss general QL issues.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Unexpanded QL Software

Post by bwinkel67 »

So I have my Q68 and am exploring its features and plethora of software that already comes with it. Learning about Black Phoenix, which seems to be a collection of GUI/Desktop software to run on it and/or other expanded QL's, as well as QL/E which seems similar but different. I may or may not eventually get a GoldCard but part of the charm for me using the QL is the nostalgia of what I used back in the day (89 onwards 'til about 95). So using an unexpanded QL with only a vDrive (so I have some interface with the modern world) is kind of fun to see what I can run on it. I'll eventually dig out my old Kempston disk interface to see if I can get a GoTek to work with it since the interface came out also in the late 80's (I do recall really wanting a GoldCard so that's why I will likely eventually expand to it).

So I'm always looking for BBQL (Bare Bones or Black Box?) unexpanded QL software to see what can run. My first go has been looking for emulators and it seems that the ZX81 and the Speccy's all required at least 256 - 300K of memory. The Speccy I would imagine but I was a bit surprised that a 1K ZX81 couldn't run on 128K. So, any older versions or other creations out there that can run on the unexpanded QL? Or any emulators in general that could? I also recall a couple of MSDOS emulators but I would imagine those require expansion.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Unexpanded QL Software

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The software I supplied on the Q68 SD Card is a collection of amost the current software for a QL based system.

Black Phoenix and QL/E are interpretations on how a QL System can be setup. They work best in High Colour mode, which is great on QPC2, but the Q68 High Resolution and High Colour is slow compared to other screen modes.

I configured Black Phoenix to run in 512x384 High Colour mode, which runs at full speed, no slow down.

But with all that said, the Q68 will run the majority of existing QL software in the 512x256 mode. By switching to screen mode 1024x768 4 colours, which is very similiar to an Atari TT030 with QVME graphics card.

All the games, which run on unexpanded QL run on thevQ68, also games like: Picole, Cyberpunk all work in the 512x256 4 colour mode without special commands or messing with switching QL Screen emulation modes.

Incidentley, the vDrive MDV files can be read on the Q68 with MDI by Martin Head, this is included on the SD Card.

It is the best of both worlds.

I have and use all QL hardware and emulators, connecting the Q68 to QPC2 via the serial port using SerNET transmits data faster than the QL Network.

I have vDriveQL fitted to a new vDrive case like TJs case featured in his excellent video, it will be connected to a Tetroid Super Gold, QL-SD.

The problem is getting time to use it all...
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I hear you about finding enough time. I'm only starting to explore the Q68. I'll need to decide which I like better, the Black Phoenix configuration or the QL/E one. It takes some getting used to since I assumed it was all uniform only to find that you kind of have to figure out how to close windows or move windows since some apps have different ideas on that.

Back to the BBQL, what's out there in the 128K world is my question here? Would love to get a ZX81 emulator running on it just for fun (it's easy to get it running otherwise since they have a web-based one now). Xtricator uses the pointer environment which is likely why it needs so much RAM, esp since the two Speccy ones can run in slightly less RAM (256K vs 300K). Thought maybe there was an older version that didn't require the extra memory.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,
bwinkel67 wrote:I hear you about finding enough time. I'm only starting to explore the Q68. I'll need to decide which I like better, the Black Phoenix configuration or the QL/E one. It takes some getting used to since I assumed it was all uniform only to find that you kind of have to figure out how to close windows or move windows since some apps have different ideas on that.
Both distributions are good, but why not write your own boot programme to make your own QL environment.

There are examples boot programmes to use QPAC2, Q-DOCK, or a simple QL style computer for using retro QL software.
bwinkel67 wrote:Back to the BBQL, what's out there in the 128K world is my question here? Would love to get a ZX81 emulator running on it just for fun (it's easy to get it running otherwise since they have a web-based one now). Xtricator uses the pointer environment which is likely why it needs so much RAM, esp since the two Speccy ones can run in slightly less RAM (256K vs 300K). Thought maybe there was an older version that didn't require the extra memory.
Most emualtors on the QL will require at least 256K of memory and the emulation would benefit from a Gold Card, but fitting a Trump Card would give you more memory and faster ram access.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Yup, I am starting to play with the Q68 configurations. Not much of a pointer person when it come the the QL so will look to other utilities. Probably because I use them so much in my day-to-day life.

With regard to memory on the BBQL, I'm thinking of taking tcat's design and implementing it this summer. Making a homemade PCB and configuring the GAL chip and seeing if I can get it to work...just for the sake of doing it (never etched my own PCB but it seems interesting). Reading the DIY RAM EXPANSION thread it seems that Dave had quickly implemented it and had some improvement suggestions but I hadn't seen an updated PCB design.

There was also someone that had a board that plugged into the MC68008 socket (maybe a cable or two soldered somewhere else -- I couldn't find more detail on the actual board just the s/w) that basically followed tcat's design but didn't use the expansion port. I was thinking of first doing tcat's and then seeing if I could reverse the board so it would hover over the motherboard and the expansion port would just have a male/female connector sitting on top of each other'ish and push any future expansion out a 1/2 an inch or so. Basically a combo of both where I use the expansion port but it sits over the motherboard (obviously an internal fit so you have to take the lid off). Just some ideas of interesting stuff to work on this summer.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If you look at this message

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=877&p=7929#p7928

There Eagle files to make an internal ram expansion for the QL.

Regards,

Derek