Productivity in the QL

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Re: Productivity in the QL

Post by Giorgio Garabello »

badaman wrote:
Giorgio Garabello wrote:I have never published the programs that I use in my work I don't think they are interesting

Giorgio
Well, it's never too late if it's for good. If those programs are useful for you, maybe they can be useful for another ... On the other hand, do not feel obligated.
We should translate everything from Italian to other languages .. at the moment I don't have the energy to do it
I had done something on my first forms, personal data / checking accounts and I had published them .. (you can also find them in Black Phoenix) ... nobody ever told me anything about having ever used them.
Here anyway you can find some screens of the modules I published (the biggest ones I never published)

http://www.hunggartorino.it/ql/q-h-f-t-2/

EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

Ralf R. wrote: If easyptr is to hard for you (QPTR more harder), you may try the little toolkit, which QLiberator uses. MK has dissassembled that for me, with a little SB demo program. If interested, I can upload it in the "decompiler" thread.
Yes, I would like to see that, would be ideal for me.

badaman
Over Heated PSU

Post by badaman »

Giorgio Garabello wrote: We should translate everything from Italian to other languages .. at the moment I don't have the energy to do it
I had done something on my first forms, personal data / checking accounts and I had published them .. (you can also find them in Black Phoenix) ... nobody ever told me anything about having ever used them.
Here anyway you can find some screens of the modules I published (the biggest ones I never published)

http://www.hunggartorino.it/ql/q-h-f-t-2/
Looks great. I will try it as soon as possible and tell you my impressions.

Thank you Giorgio.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

EmmBee wrote:
Ralf R. wrote: If easyptr is to hard for you (QPTR more harder), you may try the little toolkit, which QLiberator uses. MK has dissassembled that for me, with a little SB demo program. If interested, I can upload it in the "decompiler" thread.
Good lord, don't use this. It's only for historical purposes. With EasyPtr you can draw the menu on screen and make it live with only a handful lines of code.

EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

mk79 wrote:
EmmBee wrote:
Good lord, don't use this. It's only for historical purposes. With EasyPtr you can draw the menu on screen and make it live with only a handful lines of code.
I was more thinking about the work I am currently doing with renaming the vars in the new decompiled QLiberator source. A knowledge of this little toolkit should help me a lot when I get around to this pointer stuff that QLiberator uses.

Besides, I am a complete beginner at the pointer environment, and so a simple start would perhaps be more appropriate for my needs.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

EmmBee wrote:Besides, I am a complete beginner at the pointer environment, and so a simple start would perhaps be more appropriate for my needs.
I agree, just look at your PM.

4E75 7000
EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

Ralf R. wrote:
EmmBee wrote:Besides, I am a complete beginner at the pointer environment, and so a simple start would perhaps be more appropriate for my needs.
I agree, just look at your PM.
Thanks Ralf, for your explanation. Yes, I agree, EasyPtr is the best way - it's easier to use and more readable.

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Thanks for your suggestion Ralf R - I’m making my way through Norman Dunbar’s Notes on Easyptr.

The QBITS Organiser I abandon in 1992 probably because of memory storage issues. A review of my thoughts at the time – The SuperBASIC code probably a 1000 lines plus and a file size of between 4kB and 8kB. The storage of one Years Organiser entries with finite arrays was massive for the times.

To run would need a BBQL with memory expansion and a Hard Drive. The late 1980’s to early 1990’s affordable HD’s began with 40 MB expanding to ¼ and ½ GB sizes. I had thoughts on a Dynamic memory allocation and as such I estimated the average persons use might be between 200KB and 250KB of Data/Year.

A Dynamic Data file as opposed to Array Data File allocation, would requires serial processing of a bytes stream looking for flags etc. How loading times would compared with a set of finite Arrays potentially taking up a much larger memory I have no hard facts. As the Dynamic file will grow as more entries are added I guess it would be quite fast to begin with but by the end of the year who knows?

Review of Potential Storage Requirements
Planner – 1.125KB
Stored as integers max entries 2Bx365Days + Year ID + flags
+ say 12 Colours with attached description character strings 12x2+12x30
Appointments – 94KB
AM/PM 8x 32 character strings x 365
Mail List – 993KB
Last name/First name/Address1/2/3/4/Post Code/mobile/Home/Notes
20B + 20B + 4x20B + 8B + 12B + 12B + 120B x10x26
Diary – 550KB
Page entry 200words
May be quick entries Day temp high/low weather pattern, expenses, travel, hotel stops, meal out
anniversary, other notes.

QBITS

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Norman Dunbar's notes on EasyPtr are based on version 3. Marcel has made version 4 available a wee while back on his web site kilgus.net.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

I’ll look into Marcells version 4 thank Norman
Here’s a couple of progs extracts from my early work on the QBITS Organiser.
Seems I was contemplating weather icons for use in the diary entries.

QBITS
Attachments
QBITS Weather Icons.png
QBWeather_v01.zip
(3.46 KiB) Downloaded 112 times