QL Haul, list of Contents and questions!

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Ruptor
Gold Card

Re: QL Haul, list of Contents and questions!

Post by Ruptor »

Chr$ wrote:
Andrew wrote:Yes, be my pleasure. I'll have a look tomorrow to see what kind of shape it's in. I've randomly tried 5 or 6 disks and 1 couldn't be read, so I'm afraid I can't promise anything.
If disks give errors it is worth changing their temperature like warming them on a radiator to simulate summer temperatures. A long time ago a friend bought a game in Arizona US but he couldn't read half the disks. I found by heating the disks I could read and copy them to get working disks.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Andrew wrote: Do you think you can make o copy of the floppy an post it on the forum ? I would really like to see what it contains.
It probably isn't copyrighted as the University has the newer versions of the Mathematical and Graphical toolkit available for download on their site
Here we are. It's a windows zip file of the contents of that disk, not sure how that deals with the directory structure (it was copied to PC using qemulator).
Attachments
Mathematical and Graphical toolkit.zip
(207.25 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Chr$ wrote:Here we are. It's a windows zip file of the contents of that disk, not sure how that deals with the directory structure (it was copied to PC using qemulator).
Thank you!
QEmulator added QDOS headers to all files, including SBasic files. I will have to strip all of them before I can test the package.
Normally copying the file to RAM1_ or using QPC2 strips the header, but for some reason this doesn't seem to work for SBasic files. Well, i'll just write a small program to do that.
I presume the directories were named L1, L2, L3 P and W.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Andrew wrote: I presume the directories were named L1, L2, L3 P and W.
Yes.

Is there a way I can attempt to do it again that is of more use?

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Chr$ wrote:Is there a way I can attempt to do it again that is of more use?
It is better to archive the floppy on the QL, so you will not have any QDOS headers added by QEmulator
But do not spend much time on this - there is a Windows/Linux/Apple tool called Swiss FIle Knife that can be used for stripping the headers.
http://stahlworks.com/dev/?tool=partcopy

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Atari ST mice, Amiga mice, Acorn 8 bit and Archimedes mice are all ‘bus’ type. They of course all use different connectors or pin-outs. But if an adaptor cable is made, they will work with other bus type systems.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

1024MAK wrote:Atari ST mice, Amiga mice, Acorn 8 bit and Archimedes mice are all ‘bus’ type. They of course all use different connectors or pin-outs. But if an adaptor cable is made, they will work with other bus type systems.

Mark
An Atari mouse should work ok, as this is the one, TT had used (from his Atari emulator :-)) An Amiga mouse has to be changed inside. I have done that long time ago and shoudn't remember it . I think, it has something to do with the optocoppler.
Last edited by RalfR on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4E75 7000
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

1024MAK wrote:Atari ST mice, Amiga mice, Acorn 8 bit and Archimedes mice are all ‘bus’ type. They of course all use different connectors or pin-outs. But if an adaptor cable is made, they will work with other bus type systems.

Mark
I think I'm sorted on the rodent front. I had a PS/2 to Amiga male adapter and it has jumpers on it to turn it into a PS/2 to Atari adapter, so result.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Mathematical and Graphical toolkit - Chalmers Gotheborg University
zipped without QDOS headers (QPC2 is great !!)
Attachments
Mathematical and Graphical toolkit.zip
(218.7 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Chr$ wrote:
Andrew wrote: I presume the directories were named L1, L2, L3 P and W.
Yes.

Is there a way I can attempt to do it again that is of more use?
Hi,

There was a manual to go with the Mathematical Toolkit, which I bought some time in the 1990s, I will see if I can find it to scan to PDF.

I seem to remember that the programmes were is Superbasic, and merged into a base programme to produce a working programme.

Regards,

Derek