Quanta Magazine

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Quanta Magazine

Post by Martin_Head »

I'm wondering if I have missed an issue or two of the Quanta magazine.

I have definitely got Volume 35, Issue 1. Feb/March/April 2018. Is there any more?

I know that there are/were problems with the lack of an editor. Just wondering if my copies got lost in the post.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Quanta Magazine

Post by Dave »

I think it is no longer being produced. It was a tough loss to overcome.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Volume 35, Issue 2, Arrived today.

I'm guessing its just very late, rather than some nice Quanta person sending me a replacement, As the copy date on the inside back page says to send in things for the Aug/Sept/Oct issue before 5th Nov 2018

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

I received it by email today - so in my case it was also sent today :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Well, I'm a bit "arm's length" from Quanta Committee at the moment because of my own circumstances in the last 12 months, so I can't reply in an "official" capacity. Technically, I resigned as News Editor some time ago because of those circumstances, but continue to do what I can on an occasional basis, and my name is still listed in the magazine as News Editor.

It's quite clear from the Editorial columns (written by John Southern, who edited this issue, and Sarah Gilpin, Chair of Quanta) that it is mainly the lack of a regular editor following the death of Lee Privett, coupled with inadequate numbers of articles to some degree. John Southern described his "excessive work hours" and both appealed for someone to step forward to the role of Editor.

I suppose the positive in all this is that I was able to contribute 23 pages of news for the magazine (although some of it is late and out of date given that this is the issue dated up to July 2018), showing that there is still a suprisingly high level of activity on the QL scene in 2018. I've also already been able to contribute many pages of news towards the next issue already.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Shamefully I've not written anything in ages, but I'm still on with my big restructuring of systems (and other junk). Getting there though! Hoping to pick it up over winter.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Got mine yesterday!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I know I have a couple of items for the next issue. A long article that goes with a hardware release, and a short announcement that goes with another hardware release.

Now, I know... Y'all are thinking "whatever Dave".... but as Nasta will happily chime in, the 4MB RAM expansion is 99.5% done. Just waiting on some GAL logic for testing and a production run.

The other thing is the new video output system. That has a lot more fine tuning, as video signals are very critical pathways and it has to be right.

I'm now working full time again, in electronics funnily enough, so there's not much energy left when I get home. They have a quite unreasonable 7am start time, which means my alarm is set for 5am. I am NOT a morning person.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

A 4 Mb expansion ... will it be SuperGold Card ? And a new video output - with more colors ? Sounds exiting - I think I know what I want for Christmas ! :D

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Does anyone have a contact email for Quanta? I'm trying to submit an article to the chairmans address, and it's just bouncing back.

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<chairman@quanta.org.uk>