Deciding how to proceed...

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Deciding how to proceed...

Post by Dave »

Hi all,

It's been a tough few months. I have got a neat little QL set-up and have had a lot of fun doing little programming projects and experiments with it.

However, it's QL hardware, and there are limitations to what it can do that don't sit well with me.

I have been thinking of stopping using original hardware and instead going the emulation route. However, I have some parts that are in demand and that I feel it would be wrong to take out of use, like an Aurora card, a few interfaces, etc.

I'm debating putting them up for sale here or on eBay or someplace, and using the money to buy Q-Emulator. I had a trial of it and it was fabulous, but the trial expired, and then my mac died, and bills - you know how it goes...

So, my big internal debate right now is do I keep these parts (hello my precious!) or put them back to the community who will use them, instead of keep them as museum pieces?

Dave

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Deciding how to proceed...

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Tough one Dave, took me 25 years to realise I should have kept the QL equipment even if it doesn't work today. I now have several QLs and associated equipment and books, and will look out for any other that takes my fancy, I tend to use Qemulator for trying out stuff, I have QPC2 but not having a PC machine anymore means to use it I emulate emulate. But if an Aurora or SuperGold card turns up well thats a different story. The QLs can be picked up quite cheaply so that projects can be run from them fairly easy without tying up a laptop or other computer system running an emulator.

My advice FWIW, hang on to it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Well, it's quite a few things... I have here an Aurora, gold card, SuperQBoard, Trump card, QubIDE, etc...

Also, I have around 50 backplanes from Tony Firshman that I will be able to finish assembling with the money and put into the community.

Or I could keep the boards, and just do everything else - more slowly ;)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I'd bite your hand off for the aurora, QubIDE and the gold card(if it's the standard one not super) As a new user it's almost impossible now to track some of these exciting parts down!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

After careful thought, I have decided to sell the aurora and trump card. I'll post them on eBay in a few days.

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

When you have them listed, make sure you post links back here!!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?