The winter has returned, as has the QL

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: The winter has returned, as has the QL

Post by Dave »

Mr_Navigator wrote:....the second is look at a possible Dummies Guide to Using Turbo, a precursor to actually using the manual...
As a true outsider, maybe I could help you with this? I could also help you by proof-reading, asking questions, and etc.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

In general, Turbo should compile most SuperBasic programs from the get go. But to really use Turbo and get the most out of it, there is a lot of changes one can do to the code and adapt it to Turbo.

For someone that is a beginner, just have Turbo compile your original code. If it hits a snag, then fix only that. If speed is an issue, then you can dig more into the details of Turbo.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

Oh, as for the QL, I don't have to wait for winter to do some QL work.

I'm looking port a Cellular Automata program from z88dk (zx81) to the QL and use C68, Small-C, DPC, and GST QC (just to try them all).

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Tim,
"all" would include QDOS-gcc as well ;)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

My plan is much more modest, and has two main elements

1: Work out step by step how to transfer QL software from my Mac (with the full version of QEmulator) to my QL-SD

2: Do some programming with SuperBASIC

Way below what you guys are going to achieve, but if I can achieve these by next Spring, I will be well satisfied. Problem is I am also having lots of fun with a ZX81, which for some reason is doing well at competing for my time...

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
Bubu
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by Bubu »

Simon_Carr wrote:My plan is much more modest
Mine is much much more, trying to fix my QL :-D

If something works... DON'T TOUCH IT!!! AT ALL!!!
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Simon_Carr wrote:My plan is much more modest, and has two main elements

1: Work out step by step how to transfer QL software from my Mac (with the full version of QEmulator) to my QL-SD

2: Do some programming with SuperBASIC

Way below what you guys are going to achieve, but if I can achieve these by next Spring, I will be well satisfied. Problem is I am also having lots of fun with a ZX81, which for some reason is doing well at competing for my time...
Ah, the trusty ZX81, this was the first computer I ever built, both exciting and a disappointment. I read all the reviews and as an electronics engineer working in the Ford Motor Company I had access to lots of test equipment and spare time occasionally. Wanting to investigate the ZX81 I opted for the build your own version which was £20 cheaper (a major difference in those days). However on receiving the 'kit' and noting it contained 4 ICs, I was disappointed at not being challenged enough. So I looked at some programming on the ZX81 and spent a whole afternoon programming in HEX from a magazine the games Space Invaders and I was hooked!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mine I think will be to try to finish as many of the half-finished QL projects around here that have accumulated last year.

In particular, Martin Head has put in a lot of work to compile PD software for me. So I need to put what he has done so far onto my website as soon as I can.

My contract at work finished last Friday, a week earlier than expected, and due to my wife's illness I'll be a full time carer for her for at least the next few months, so I'll be at home with her and hopefully able to mix some QL work in between that. She is number one priority of course.

Bubu
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by Bubu »

Oh, of course, man, but in the small time that remains everyday for ourselves, I like to relax myself with these scraps (QL's, ZX81's, Atari's...).

If something works... DON'T TOUCH IT!!! AT ALL!!!
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

And I will be completing the Lap Timer/Counter for my son's Scalextric - attached to Hermes spare ports and some simple electronics - almost done :-)

And then... to start in earnest on a Serial to QNET adapter and the associated TKII/FSERVE software adaptations to allow non-QL hardware (e.g. QPC on my laptop) to speak directly to my BBQL (yes, I could do this with SerNET, but as I haven't yet been able to get my hands on a copy, this project remains appealing).

Merry Christmas everyone!