Just aquired a Sinclair QL

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
SM7I
ROM Dongle

Just aquired a Sinclair QL

Post by SM7I »

Hi,

I recently aquired an old Sinclair QL.

It looks like this to start with:

The questions I have now then (if anyone can answer them I´d be very happy indeed):
  • How do I identify what model of QL I have ? I recon there´s alot of models around with different configurations and roms.
  • The floppycontroller has been identified as Micro Peripherals. Can I connect a regular PC 3,5" floppt to this with or without modifications and if so, how ?
  • Can one change ROM in the QL and if so, what ROM should I aim for and how to I aquire that ?
  • Can the QL be connected to a modern day TFT monitor and if so, how ?
  • I´ve read that there might be solutions to up the RAM and CPU of QL, how and what do I need then ?
  • Is it possible to transfer data between a PC and the QL ?
  • Is it still possible to aquire software for the QL ?
  • I´ve got a printerlead for the QL (not shown very well). I recon it would be a pain to be able to use modern printers, or ?
  • Maybe a strange question but can the QL be connected to Internet by some means ?
What upgrades do you recomend I do to get the best out of the QL today ?

I would be very happy if anyone could answer my questions or at least a couple of them.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Just aquired a Sinclair QL

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and a warm welcome! :) The QL is a great tinkering machine but it does need floppy drives to get the best from it.

Dilwyn's QL website is one of the best on the net for software and all kinds of stuff http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/ and then there is Rich's www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/ and www.sellmyretro.com/

I have my QL connected to a TFT and use a gbs-8220 RGB2 VGA converter shown here:
http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

SM7I wrote:Hi,
  • How do I identify what model of QL I have ? I recon there´s alot of models around with different configurations and roms.
- There are a couple of ways of checking.
Find the ROM version with
PRINT VER$
- The Sinclair ROMs were PB, FB, AH, JM, JS, and MG (from memory) - MG was the last version produced, although a UK version was never released.
- JSL1 indicates you have a Minerva ROM (a later ROM replacement)

You can also get clues on the start up screen - is Toolkit II installed for example, or just a banner for the MicroPeripherals disk interface?

SM7I wrote:
  • The floppycontroller has been identified as Micro Peripherals. Can I connect a regular PC 3,5" floppt to this with or without modifications and if so, how ?
Yes (and no) - ideally you want a 720K disk drive, with a jumper on it that you can set to DS0.

Unfortunately, most PC floppy disk drives are set as DS1 (slave) and are 1440K HD disk drives.

You can use a 1440K HD disk drive, provided you ONLY use DD floppy disks - you can use HD floppy disks (and cover over the HD identity hole on the side of the disk) - however, don't expect someone else to be able to read them on their own disk drives.

The other issue is making the drive into a master - if it has a jumper (or solder pad) you can alter to set it as DS0 then great. Otherwise, you need to start with a straight (untwisted floppy drive cable) and try swapping pins 10 and 12 - see http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... =swap+pins

SM7I wrote:
  • Can one change ROM in the QL and if so, what ROM should I aim for and how to I aquire that ?
Yes - the ROMs are in sockets, so easy to swap by opening the case, levering the chips out carefully and popping in new ones. Ideally you want a minimum of a JM ROM.

Minerva is still available to purchase and offers faster speed, dual displays, and multitasking SuperBASIC. Unfortunately some of the very old games may not work on it.

See http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... m_ROM-1600
SM7I wrote:
  • I´ve read that there might be solutions to up the RAM and CPU of QL, how and what do I need then ?
You need to keep an eye out for a Gold Card or Super Gold Card - although they do not turn up too often - these increase the speed of the QL dramatically (by replacing the processor) and add 2 or 4MB of RAM, plus a disk interface.

Next down the list is a Trump Card, which adds 768K memory and a disk interface.

Then there are expanderams which have a through connector, allowing you to connect your disk interface at the same time.

Unfortunately, these are becoming harder and harder to find!

SM7I wrote:
  • Is it possible to transfer data between a PC and the QL ?
Yes - you are halfway there as you have a disk interface - see Dilwyn's site and the downloads sections for programs which run on the QL and can read PC formatted disks, or use one of the emulators on the PC to read and write directly to QL formatted fisks.

SM7I wrote:
  • Is it still possible to aquire software for the QL ?
Yes - I have plenty available on www.rwapsoftware.co.uk (new software) and also second hand items listed on www.sellmyretro.com

SM7I wrote:
  • I´ve got a printerlead for the QL (not shown very well). I recon it would be a pain to be able to use modern printers, or ?
Yes it is a real pain - some of the laser printers have a parallel / centronics port, but not many and most require the drivers to be built into Windows - some will accept plain text and ESC/P control codes, but not many !!

SM7I wrote:
  • Maybe a strange question but can the QL be connected to Internet by some means ?
Ermm...... not really as there is no ethernet controller for the QL

SM7I wrote: What upgrades do you recomend I do to get the best out of the QL today ?
As a trader, that is for others to comment!

SM7I
ROM Dongle

Post by SM7I »

OK, made some research. I have an JM rom currently. Do you suggest upgrade to Minerva or another ?

Apparantly I dont have a toolkit since no text is showing that anywhere. How do I aquire that ?

My Micro Peripheral floppy controller has rom version 5.3e. I would like to switch to Qjump, but I do not know of how to aquire it. Maybe someone knows ?

It seems hard to find a Gold Card. Should I atleast go for expanding memory by adding 512K or what ?

Best regards from someone that really intends to use his QL for real work :)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

What happens when you type "tk2_ext" ?

SM7I
ROM Dongle

Post by SM7I »

Bad name happens.

What do you suggest ?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

SM7I wrote:OK, made some research. I have an JM rom currently. Do you suggest upgrade to Minerva or another ?

Apparantly I dont have a toolkit since no text is showing that anywhere. How do I aquire that ?

My Micro Peripheral floppy controller has rom version 5.3e. I would like to switch to Qjump, but I do not know of how to aquire it. Maybe someone knows ?

It seems hard to find a Gold Card. Should I atleast go for expanding memory by adding 512K or what ?

Best regards from someone that really intends to use his QL for real work :)
There's a manual (PDF format) and utilities disc for the MicroPeripherals interface on my website at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/index.html (scroll down to the "Micro Peripherals Ltd Disk Interface" section). There might be information there on how to access any toolkit extensions built in or on the disk. I don't know much about this interface, I never owned one - these files were contributed by others.

There was a QJump upgrade ROM called Q-FLP for these MP disc interfaces, to upgrade them to the "FLP" standard of other disc systems. However, these ROMs have long been discontinued by QJump unless you are lucky to find one second hand might be worth looking on SellMyRetro and eBay sites, or ask Rich Mellor if he has any second hand ones. I suppose we could petition Tony Tebby next year to see if he would allow a few to be produced for owners of second hand interfaces.

The reason it was suggested to try TK2_EXT is this: it is a BASIC command to enforce the Toolkit 2 commands. Some disc interfaces have Toolkit 2 built in, but it is not enabled automatically in all of them - you have to enter a command called TK2_EXT from the BASIC command line to awaken it.

For anyone who does not know what it is, Toolkit 2 is a collection of extensions for the QL operating system and SuperBASIC. It corrects and enhances some original QL features. It was available in three forms, a plug in ROM for the EPROM expansion slot at the back of a QL, as a reconfigurable version on disc, and built into some disc interface ROMs.

Dilwyn Jones

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The command FLP_EXT is used on many disk interfaces to enable a subset of Toolkit II commands (mainly the disk access commands, such as WCOPY).

SM7I
ROM Dongle

Post by SM7I »

OK, thanks for the info. Maybe the Toolkit is something we could try to get upgrades for next year if Dilwyn is right.

Right now I´m stuck with the fact that I´ve got two rubber rollers för the ZX Microdrives that just don´t want to play along. They are split in half....if anyone has got a pair of these I´d happily buy them...

Also I need to order a new keyboard membrane and I also think I´ll go with the Minerva ROM that I saw on a online auction.

Since it seems hard to get hold of (Super)Gold Card, Is it of any need to get a memorycard to up the memory a bit or is it a waste ?

I´ll try to make a 3,5" drive to play with the MP controller today and see if I have any luck with that.

Have a nice X-mas you ppl out there !!!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The upgraded QJUMP ROM does not change too much on a MicroP disk interface - basically it changes the device from FDK1_ to FLP1_ so if you use DIR FLP1_ now, you must have the Qjump ROM.

Toolkit II (and the command TK2_EXT) was either supplied separately on a ROM cartridge, or was built into the disk interfaces produced by Miracle (Trump Card, Gold Card, Super Gold Card) as well as the QXL

There was also a configurable version supplied on microdrive, which lacks the enhanced networking capabilities (FSERVE) as it could not run fast enough!