Problems with/after ROM replacement, vDrive and Exapanderam

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Ruptor
Gold Card

Re: Problems with/after ROM replacement, vDrive and Exapanderam

Post by Ruptor »

AndyZX wrote:Question: Could anybody suggest an expert to take a look at my computer who is close to my neck of the woods on the continent (Slovenia)?
What about a TV of HiFi repair shop? If you dig up the information for an issue 5 upgrade and give them just the PCB out of the box anyone with a soldering iron that can solder electronics can do it for you. Just a thought if you raise the mains voltage input to the PSU with a step up transformer (variac maybe) to recover the 5 or 10 volts lost the Microdrives & everything might start working again.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Just a thought - but European Mains voltage is a little lower than UK voltage - we regularly get 240V on our mains - I think it's somewhere between 220 and 230 in most European countries - it's not much of a percentage - but if your PSU is just on the edge... It's just one more place to look

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

Pr0f wrote:Just a thought - but European Mains voltage is a little lower than UK voltage - we regularly get 240V on our mains - I think it's somewhere between 220 and 230 in most European countries - it's not much of a percentage - but if your PSU is just on the edge... It's just one more place to look
An echo of my last two posts. :lol:

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Andy!
AndyZX wrote: Question: Could anybody suggest an expert to take a look at my computer who is close to my neck of the woods on the continent (Slovenia)?
I wouldn't claim to be an 'expert', but I will be in and around Trieste in N Italy over the next few weeks visiting family - if you think I could help, feel free to PM me (martyn_hill)

M.

AndyZX
ROM Dongle

Post by AndyZX »

martyn_hill wrote:Hi Andy!
AndyZX wrote: Question: Could anybody suggest an expert to take a look at my computer who is close to my neck of the woods on the continent (Slovenia)?
I wouldn't claim to be an 'expert', but I will be in and around Trieste in N Italy over the next few weeks visiting family - if you think I could help, feel free to PM me (martyn_hill)

M.
Hi Martyn, thank you very much, I appreciate it. I posted my call on the Slovenian FB retro computers page and one colleague will take a look at it. I trust he will be able to solve the problem, but if not I will get in touch. Thanks again!

AndyZX
ROM Dongle

Post by AndyZX »

Ruptor wrote:
AndyZX wrote:Question: Could anybody suggest an expert to take a look at my computer who is close to my neck of the woods on the continent (Slovenia)?
What about a TV of HiFi repair shop? If you dig up the information for an issue 5 upgrade and give them just the PCB out of the box anyone with a soldering iron that can solder electronics can do it for you. Just a thought if you raise the mains voltage input to the PSU with a step up transformer (variac maybe) to recover the 5 or 10 volts lost the Microdrives & everything might start working again.
Thanks, I found help through the Slovenian FB retro computers page and I trust we will able to solve the problem. In any case expert guidance from the QL forum is invaluable so thanks again to everybody!

AndyZX
ROM Dongle

Post by AndyZX »

Ruptor wrote:
Thanks, I found help through the Slovenian FB retro computers page and I trust we will able to solve the problem. In any case expert guidance from the QL forum is invaluable so thanks again to everybody!

AndyZX
ROM Dongle

Post by AndyZX »

Hello everybody,

after some time I am back with more info and some additional help for troubleshooting.

As many suggeseted I got in touch with a colleague who undertook the necessary mods to the Issue 5 board and he did a great job.

But surprise, surprise - things are still not 100% OK.

With Minerva ROM my QL wouldn't load from the vDrive nor from the MDVs. I reverted back to the AH ROM and things improved 50%. Suddenly, my vDrive was fully operational, whereas MDVs would still not load programmes.

I have to mention that removing Minerva I broke the pin on the upper right side. (I know, I should have used the ROM extractor but don't have one yet.) Anyhow, I think the pin was OK before so I would rule that defect out.

The situation with AH ROM installed is now the following:
- I can load nearly all files from the vDrive (there are some excepions like Spook but I had a problem with it before);
- MDVs seem to roll ok - there is no problem loading shorter SBASIC files;
- I can even load Metacomco Pascal, in connection with its own ROM;
- but I have problems with most MDV programmes: they might load the intro screen (HyperDrive or 3D Slime), or a part of the programme in SBASIC (QL-Decision Maker), however the loading process would end with a long beep, reset, infinite loading loop or mostly with a message "out of memory" (I attach some typical screenshots);
- it seems there is a problem with memory - out of memory message is usually linked to RESPR or ALCHP functions;
- there does not seem to be a RAM problem - Minerva showed the standard 128K setting was ok and, in any case, (same) programmes do function well if I load them from the vDrive.

I guess many are wondering why do I bother with MDVs while I have the vDrive functioning (with AH ROM). True, but I have some programmes on cartridges and would still like to use the original QL funcionality.

Any ideas of what is going on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
tempImage44UYEm.gif
tempImageiomAek.gif
tempImageIdeM8b.gif

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The problem maybd related to the broken pin on the Minerva.

But Minerva should improve the Microdrive access, as AH rom is full of bugs.

Do you have the 2 resistors on top of the 8302? This improves the microdrive reliabiliy.

Regards,

Derek
AndyZX
ROM Dongle

Post by AndyZX »

Thanks Derek, will fix Minerva and put the resistors on the top of 8302 - hope that will solve the problems.