Psion chess acting wierd

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
xtof-cfx
ROM Dongle

Psion chess acting wierd

Post by xtof-cfx »

Hi,
being on original owner I am reviving my setup after many years. Its not been too bad with this forum as background, I got a gs8200 RGB to VGA and after some tinkering I am able to unzip correctly on my linux machine (have to since my QL is BB 128Kb) without resorting to an emulator (no screen on my linux). I get the dataspace from ql-filer, and fill that out and make exec in ql-tools, and then transfer using my USB fd to QL cumana interface.

The "3D Psion chess" from the archive is my test file.

Now I am seeing the following which puzzles me. When I exec_w chess_exe it starts fine, but going to the "3D" screen F2 the system hangs (the video becomes all grainy like random stuff is written to video memory). However, I noticed when loading the turbo toolkit before starting chess (which I did by accident :-)), everything is fine afaik.

Any thoughts?
thanks -- Xtof

RalfR
Aurora

Re: Psion chess acting wierd

Post by RalfR »

I think the problem with the original program from Psion is the red bottom frame of the chess board, that's where the program gets stuck if not run on an BBQL or QEmulator. Versions that work lack this frame and run everywhere.

You can find a working version here: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/games/psichessql.zip

Edit: Ah, I see you use chess_exe and not the original Psion code. I don't know.

4E75 7000
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Try my fixed version from here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2696&start=10#p37623

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Ah thanks, I completely forgot about that.

4E75 7000