how can we run .bas files from archive.org tosec?

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
nitrofurano
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: how can we run .bas files from archive.org tosec?

Post by nitrofurano »

XorA wrote:Cant help feel sorry for you messing with the poor quality TOSEC archive though.
Have you discovered http://www.dilwyn.me.uk where most of the software is present in better form with in a lot of cases instructions?
btw, i have some questions about dilwyn.me.uk website: how can we download everything (files) from there? using httrack? downloadthemall? or is there some torrent mirror somewhere? and how we distinguish easily and fastly the unexpanded from expanded ql stuff, without having to try all files one by one? - please don't take me wrong, the website as content repository is actually great as resource, but this is why it looks so confusing and messy from newbies like me...

(btw, i'm actually only interested on the unexpanded ql, since i still don't have the real hardware yet, and i'm not interested to pay for a proprietary emulator licensing for that (but help funding a licence migration to a software-libre licensing to gpl is another story), specially when we are, or should be, plenty of great free (and "libre") emulators around)

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

nitrofurano wrote:btw, i have some questions about dilwyn.me.uk website: how can we download everything (files) from there? using httrack? downloadthemall? or is there some torrent mirror somewhere? and how we distinguish easily and fastly the unexpanded from expanded ql stuff, without having to try all files one by one? - please don't take me wrong, the website as content repository is actually great as resource, but this is why it looks so confusing and messy from newbies like me...

(btw, i'm actually only interested on the unexpanded ql, since i still don't have the real hardware yet, and i'm not interested to pay for a proprietary emulator licensing for that (but help funding a licence migration to a software-libre licensing to gpl is another story), specially when we are, or should be, plenty of great free (and "libre") emulators around)
You might like to look at 'The Distribution DVD' at http://www.sinclairql.net/repository.html It has an (old) offline copy of Dilwyn's web site. Plus lots of other stuff.

nitrofurano
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by nitrofurano »

this one? http://www.sinclairql.net/downloads/THE ... BUTION.ZIP - thanks!
and what changed between the old and the actual version of the website?

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

nitrofurano wrote:this one? http://www.sinclairql.net/downloads/THE ... BUTION.ZIP - thanks!
and what changed between the old and the actual version of the website?
I don't know exactly. But I don't expect most of the downloadable files have changed much, except for the odd update here and there.
And you don't have to burn it to a DVD. You can just unzip it to folder on your hard disk and use it from there.

nitrofurano
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by nitrofurano »

this is what i did (unzipping), thanks!

what i found out was that most pdf files from the website aren't there, so that what i think might differ between both - anyway, downloading the "dvd" was great for getting some "sneaky peek" of what is on the website

meanwhile i'm downloading the whole website from httrack anyway, in parts (some bunch of directories per day), as it seems there is no other comfortable way to access it from a newbie viewpoint