Online QL User Guide

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Online QL User Guide

Post by dilwyn »

Working from a scanned QL User Guide kindly supplied by Adrian Ives, I have produced both eBook and online HTML versions of the QL manual. Hopefully this will help both new and occasional QL users.

To keep file sizes down, it’s available in four parts – the Introduction, Beginner’s Guide, Keywords and Concepts guides.

The eBook version is available as ePub, Mobi and PDF files, and can be found at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/ebooks/index.html

The online HTML version can be found at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/ebooks/olqlug/index.htm(note: end in .htm not .html). This is a first trial and it was created in Word and saved from Word as filtered HTML, so if you find errors or omissions, please let me know!

Hopefully the online version will be suitable for both new and occasional QL users as an online reference version which can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, without having to download the manual each time.

Dilwyn

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Online QL User Guide

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Dilwyn, you don't know how useful the online version is :), I have lost count the number of times I have been tinkering with SuperBASIC only to forget or not remember how to use a keyword looked for my electronic version of the manual only to think, quicker to download the section off your site to look it up, only to find several versions of the manual in my download folder (and on several machines), now I download no longer I just look it up yippee.

oh! an also many thanks too for going to the trouble to put it online (do I recognise some graphics in there?) :mrgreen:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Hehehe...

I did a private QL manual web like this a few years ago for my own personal use. It's different to this one (each command is a separate page and every reference to a command is a link to it) so if that's an improvement I will put it ina publicly accessible location in due course.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Don't mind me mentioning, but didn't the ex Quanta editor (or one of them - Tony....) make a HTML version of the QL User manual available through Quanta?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Don't mind me mentioning, but didn't the ex Quanta editor (or one of them - Tony....) make a HTML version of the QL User manual available through Quanta?
Yes, Tony Hill did a massive all-in-one PDF but it's only available to Quanta members.

With this one, Adrian OCRed Andy Dansby's original scanned QL manual and I rescanned the pictures, and took a few of Mr Navigator's nice pictures from his website (he gave me permission a while back to use them if I needed for the manual) to make it even better. Then MANY late nights of correcting the OCRed text. Hope it's all proved worthwhile :roll:

A few people have already said nice things about it being online in particular for occasional reference. It's in eBook format too so anyone with one of those, or iPad or Android tablet for example can use them as handy reference guides or whatever.

I just thought the online version was a gap in what we had available, that's all.

Dilwyn

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:Dilwyn, you don't know how useful the online version is :), I have lost count the number of times I have been tinkering with SuperBASIC only to forget or not remember how to use a keyword looked for my electronic version of the manual only to think, quicker to download the section off your site to look it up, only to find several versions of the manual in my download folder (and on several machines), now I download no longer I just look it up yippee.
Glad it's made Mr Navigator happy at any rate.
Mr_Navigator wrote: oh! an also many thanks too for going to the trouble to put it online (do I recognise some graphics in there?) :mrgreen:
Yes, you sure do. You told me I could use them in the eBook version, but I guess I should have asked before putting them in the online version. Worry not - a credit will be added!

Dilwyn

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

:mrgreen: pulling leg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:Hehehe...

I did a private QL manual web like this a few years ago for my own personal use. It's different to this one (each command is a separate page and every reference to a command is a link to it) so if that's an improvement I will put it ina publicly accessible location in due course.
That would be very useful. The mian reason for using these online manuals is to look up the syntax for a keyword we don't use very often, so something like that with a list of keywords and links at the beginning would be very useful.

Now all I need is for the authors and suppliers of Easyptr 4 to give me permission to do an online version of the Easyptr commands (they are the most difficult to remember of all QL keywords!) and I'll be happy :ugeek:

Dilwyn