My intro Guide to the QL

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

My intro Guide to the QL

Post by Chr$ »

I have written this doc, just as a personal project really. Once I've done some fact-checking and written stuff down I find it easier to get my head around it! It's very basic and is nothing that hasn't been said before, many times.

Perhaps people could cast an eye over it to make sure everything is accurate etc.

Thanks.

Edit 1/2/21: Slightly updated version.
Attachments
The Qonfusing QLv2.pdf
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 176 times
Last edited by Chr$ on Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: My intro Guide to the QL

Post by vanpeebles »

Oooh, I’ll read it over lunch tomorrow!

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Chr$ wrote:I have written this doc, just as a personal project really. Once I've done some fact-checking and written stuff down I find it easier to get my head around it! It's very basic and is nothing that hasn't been said before, many times.

Perhaps people could cast an eye over it to make sure everything is accurate etc.

Thanks.
Just read it. Thanks.

Good read for a QL newbie like me.

TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Very good, but no mention of the forum! :o

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Thanks and thanks.
vanpeebles wrote:Very good, but no mention of the forum! :o
I deliberately didn't mention any companies/names/websites. The forum is certainly the main place where the "dedicated bunch of very knowledgeable people that are happy to help with technical queries" hang out!

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Nice write up, the QL is a good system when not using the microdrive system. The use of floppy disks and hard disk systems make a really slick machine to use.

A good thing about SMSQ/E, this adds a level of compatibility, software that will run on QPC2, SMSQmulator, QXL/2, Atari QL Emulator will run o the Q68, without any conversion. Assuming there is no hardware specific commands used. I ususally use SMSQmulator o a Linux Laptop, and the same system runs on the Q68.

With regards to the Q68, it was manufactured based on demand, which I think I have estimated correctly, since I have not had any orders in while, I have 5 left over from the last batch.

Regards,

Derek
Colwob
ROM Dongle

Post by Colwob »

With regards to the Q68, it was manufactured based on demand, which I think I have estimated correctly, since I have not had any orders in while, I have 5 left over from the last batch.
I didn't realise we could still get hold of a Q68. For myself and possibly other newbie's, how much are they and how do we get hold of one please? :D

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Nice write up, the QL is a good system when not using the microdrive system. The use of floppy disks and hard disk systems make a really slick machine to use.

A good thing about SMSQ/E, this adds a level of compatibility, software that will run on QPC2, SMSQmulator, QXL/2, Atari QL Emulator will run o the Q68, without any conversion. Assuming there is no hardware specific commands used. I ususally use SMSQmulator o a Linux Laptop, and the same system runs on the Q68.

Thanks Derek,

Actually, the post after yours has also highlighted a slight issue that I encountered when writing my doc thing..... where to get the Q68 and where to find out more! I know by now after hanging around here for a while that it's your baby, but if you're after one, googling doesn't really help until you eventually find the post on this forum where you offered them and then trawl through that and hopefully pm you. I know it's only a low scale thing, but have you thought about having some kind of easily findable webpage containing details, price etc? Or is there such a thing already that I couldn't find?

(and I still love the microdrives, simply can't give them up ;). In fact, I've found a few virtually NOS carts and with new pads they are actually quite reliable. Ok, so 100ish kb isn't enough space for anything much these days, but I do love to whirr them up from time to time, in fact I've been checking them and selling them and have probably sold about 30-40 with no reported issues)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Chr$,

Point taken, I will take steps to make a web presence for Q68 information.

I forgot to mention that SMSQ/E was developed in the beginning on Atari ST computers, but bears no real resemblence to the modern SMSQ/E.

I have some hardware that can be fitted to an Atari STFM that will run Mode 8 QL software.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Colwob wrote:
I didn't realise we could still get hold of a Q68. For myself and possibly other newbie's, how much are they and how do we get hold of one please? :D
Hi,

Please see:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2203

Send me a PM if interested.

Regards,

Derek