#1, 2, 3 stock QL updates recommended for a Newbie

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Cristian
Aurora

Re: #1, 2, 3 stock QL updates recommended for a Newbie

Post by Cristian »

Dave wrote:I want them to be solid for the next 35 years.
8-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Cristian wrote:
SinclairSociety wrote: And on the opposite spectrum, what is the best lower price options for this... if you know of any.
The following is the cheapest. The quality is decent, but not excellent. Needs some settings and configs, but it works. I've been using one for years.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12&hilit=8220
I have one of those. I use it with a few different systems - it works well as a universal converter. I did design a S-Video card that fits in the QL that is definitely better and works with everything that has an S-Video input. It's almost to where I'd ship it, but it's just not quite there yet. I really need to get some time to get in there and finish it. It would be useful to a lot of people.

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Dave, thank you.

So I have two displays in mind.

As one option I have the Commodore 1702 I can use but odds are I will want to use the QL in my office... and would like it to connect to my 4k TV.

TCL 43" 43S515
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-43-cla ... Id=6202780

I am using my Timex 2068 on it now via the AV In port on back and using the composite port on the TS2068. Works decent enough. Not great but OK. There is a single cable adapter that came with the TV that connects to this AV port and breaks out the audio and video feeds. At least the video part works as the TS2068 displays. I of course have HDMI too on the TV but unsure if that can work.

Supposedly this TV can do PAL too but not 100% sure on that. Here is the link that shows that.
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/12af1280

Ultimately I would prefer and like to find the SInclair Vision Monitor that was sold with the QLs if I can find one or the CUB.

Thanks for your time.

TJ

Dave wrote:
Cristian wrote:Case A - light wallet:

1) RGB to SCART cable;
2) a disk interface adding Toolkit2 and some extra RAM, e.g. (cloned)TrumpCard, Qubide etc.
3) ROM update, JS at least
I'm providing TJ's QL system. I've picked a nice top and bottom case with really light wear, and a US.3 board to go inside it. Right now I am waiting on a couple of packages to arrive so I can properly recap both the QL and the power supply. I want them to be solid for the next 35 years.

He's in the US, so the SCART lead would be... lonely! When I get close to shipping I'll find out what monitor he likes and see if I can make up a cable for that monitor.

I'll be replacing the JSU ROMs with Minerva. There's nothing wrong with the JSU ROMs, but if you choose TV mode they switch to NTSC output, with differently scaled fonts that break a lot of software. Minerva won't do that. I can't think of a single use case for NTSC.

A disk interface like the Trump Card is an excellent choice - and TJ does have a lot of floppies around the place.

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

SinclairSociety wrote:TCL 43" 43S515
Ah, it has composite video input. There is a color and monochrome composite video output on the QL's RGB port. My S-Video card does as a side effect do *very* nice color composite video - far superior to the inbuilt version. I really should put in the effort to get that finished.

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Here is an image, not sure you can get much from this, but the TS2068 connected to my 43" TCL.

It works. There is some lines, like faint checker board lines, that you may see in the image. Not sure if that is normal for TS2068 from 1983 via composite port, but I know no better so guessing it is. In basic mode the white screen has some, for lack of better words, noisy and dirty, but better than a RF output. Again, maybe common.

Not sure if QL composite outputs nicer cleaner visuals and can be used on the TCL43 or not.

I know they also make SCART to HDMI adapters I suppose I can look at too.

But would be nice if the QL can be used on something like this and look decent.

My plan is to have the QL and one of my other future Sinclairs in my office, and I can connect them composite or HDMI or...

TJ

Dave wrote:
SinclairSociety wrote:TCL 43" 43S515
Ah, it has composite video input. There is a color and monochrome composite video output on the QL's RGB port. My S-Video card does as a side effect do *very* nice color composite video - far superior to the inbuilt version. I really should put in the effort to get that finished.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Those patterns on the screen are only in the drawn area and not in the border - they're artifacts of internal noise from the Spectrum impinging on the video signal. The same thing happens a lot on the C64, too. If the Spectrum signals causing the interference can be identified, a Spectrum equivalent of the "LumaFix" could be made to completely tune out that noise.

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

I take it the QL RGB/Composite is much more clean?
TJ
Dave wrote:Those patterns on the screen are only in the drawn area and not in the border - they're artifacts of internal noise from the Spectrum impinging on the video signal. The same thing happens a lot on the C64, too. If the Spectrum signals causing the interference can be identified, a Spectrum equivalent of the "LumaFix" could be made to completely tune out that noise.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It's better than that, yes.

retro_collector
Brittle Membrane

Post by retro_collector »

Andrew wrote:probably OSSC - but it is expensive
https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/
I have the OSSC and just ordered JS Technologies RGB -> Scart to VGA converter with QL firmware. I will test both and post pics so you can judge for yourself :)

Bill