Running software from different locations like Qubide

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Running software from different locations like Qubide

Post by grafvonb »

I've managed to copy some zip images (with correct header etc.) to a DOM to use it with my Qubide. However I have no idea how to run them from "win1_" location. Simple lrun with the location of the boot file doesn't work. Help :)

I use Minerva 1.97 with Toolkit II.

Loving QL & ZX Spectrum & Amiga...
RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Running software from different locations like Qubide

Post by RWAP »

I assume the files are unzipped on the QubIDE :)

The problem you are most probably hitting is that the various files for each program will probably still assume that they need to access other files with commands such as EXEC flp1_test_exe. The standard QL lacks any means to load programs and data using a relative file location.

Although it is not a simple one solution fits all answer, if you are dealing with older QL programs the following applies:

If they are SuperBASIC files, you can edit the file to change all references to flp1_ and mdv1_ to win1_ (or even better, use something like win1_myprog_ so that you can have multiple boot files).

If they are not in SuperBASIC, then you might need to use an editor to overwrite these settings - some programs may have a config block (editable using the config or menuconfig program supplied as part of the Pointer Environment), but if editing a file directly, remember that you cannot easily change the length of the drive references !

The other (simplest) option is to use WIN_USE flp, then LRUN flp1_boot (assuming the programs think they should run from flp1_)

You could also look at the SUB and DEV devices which offer a little more flexibility.

You will however, probably need to examine each boot file in detail in order to see what it is trying to do.

grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: Running software from different locations like Qubide

Post by grafvonb »

WIN_USE flp was very useful suggestion. Many thanks.

Loving QL & ZX Spectrum & Amiga...