QL Tinkering

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Cristian
Aurora

Re: QL Tinkering

Post by Cristian »

Thank you very much for your efforts and professional documentation!

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

vanpeebles wrote:I've been reliving my childhood by watching all the re-runs of Knight Rider on tv, and that program could do some really cool Knight Rider style screens :)
Absolutely true! Knight Rider was the best :)

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

QBITS
Reliving the past, made me realise I have the complete set of The Official Stargate SG1 DVD collection all 43 DVD’s and magazines + a copy of the original Stargate Movie and an original Exclusive Collectors Binder... sadly to say as to the Watch, the strap has gone and the type of early battery is probably unobtainable.

Please Note: Dilwyn and RWAP before posting progs. to your web sites. QB3D_Wire at the moment is very much a work in progress. It is by definition just a program to explore QL 3D Rotation and I’ve learnt a lot myself that I didn’t know. I look forward to seeing some feed back as to what platforms it works on or not, problems encountered etc.

Anyway I have few more idea’s for improvement, such as the Angle of Roll/ Spin/Loop Graphics to follow the Objects motion. This has now been achieved with version 2. QB3D_Wire512v2 & QB3D_Wire768v2.

Thanks for your comments.

QBITS
Attachments
QD3D_Wire02.jpg
QB3D_Cube.zip
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Stargate.jpg
Last edited by qbits on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Apologies - do you want me to remove it for now until you have a more "final" version?

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

That would be good Dilwyn, give me a few more weeks say until EASTER.
I'm still playing around with a few touch ups.
QBITS

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

ok, done.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I like 3D modelling programs and can see that we now have the prospect of 2 nice programs - this one and Tridim (see http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1153#p18715).

I wonder if features from the two programs could be brought together to give an even better solution?

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi All,
Well other homely diversions apart, not to mention the snow, I have delved into the last part of my Exploration of QL 3D Rotation Graphics, namely the code to display Solid Objects. The world having moved on somewhat since the 1980’s and the QL release, backwards engineering today’s code from Visual basic, C++ or Java was obviously a non starter.

So I then began reviewing the mathematical formulas employed in 3D Graphics. I delved into matrices seeking some insight and use of Dimensioned Arrays. This led me onto vector equations of planes and after digesting a number of formulas I made a breakthrough. In essence as I had hoped I managed to encapsulate my requirement to identify hidden surfaces of an Object in a single line of code and controlled by a variable within a couple of IF statements.

I hope a number of you will download and try this version out. As a way to check if it would load and run on basic QL hardware I have LRUN it with Qemulator working in native QL mode. It is tediously slow, and even slower as you load the more complex Objects.

The DATA File now has Pyramid, Cube, Hexagon and my Space Shuttle Objects. The Frame surface colours chosen reflect the QL 512 Mode black, red, green, white, but with the SMQL 768 resolution and 16bit colour comes a choice of 8 colours.

QB3D_Wire512v3 / QB3D_Wire768v3 with QB3D_Data03can be found in the uploaded QB3D_Cubev3 zip.

Note: Dilwyn if this release finds no obvious bugs I’m happy for you to upload it to your web site.

Any helpful comments welcome!

QBITS
Attachments
QB3D_Wirev3.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 264 times
QB3D_Cubev3.zip
(6.75 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Pyramid.jpg
Last edited by qbits on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I had a good read of the pdf during my lunch break, great stuff as usual :) It even makes sense to someone with my programming skills :lol:

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi, its been a busy spring my eldest buying their own home. So there’s been a bit of ongoing DIY. Then summer blistering and a trip to India, 31 degrees at Heathrow on the day we left, 40 plus in Delhi phew! Our journey took us up into the Himalayans a more balmy 25 with a stiff breeze was much better.

However I’ve looked in a few time on the Forum read a few of your posts. I’ve also not neglected my QL SuperBASIC and downloaded the QPC2 emulator. Having more resolution and colour options has spurred me on to continue expanding the possibilities with Galaxy AD2370. I feel it has now reached a level of maturity so QBAD2370v5QPC2 and the accompanying QBAD2370v5QPC2.pdf are ready for you to digest.

Version 5 in addition to code revisions, Food and Ores have been added to the Tec /Trade/MODs for Transfer. New are a series of space hazards; Pulsar, Binary Star, Nebula, a Black hole, Timeslip and Encounter to further frustrate you. However if your basically lazy like me pressing F1 actives the Simulation Mode, so you can relax sit back, drink your coffee and watch.

Welcome any reviews on Game and checks on my code where I might have screwed up, not having every platform to test the program on. It should Load and work on most although an original QL will need expanded memory. The QL2k emulator has a clock multiplier assuming x1 is equivalent to original QL hardware speed, the Game will run very slow as expected. At x10 its bearable-ish, x50 that might be acceptable, x500 I have no problems. My best judgement of the QPC2 and SMSQ emulators they are probably running at x1000.

QBITS
Attachments
QBAD2370v5QPC2.zip
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
Galaxy v5.jpg
Last edited by qbits on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.