QL Tinkering

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Tinkering

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Qbits,

I run the game on SMSQmulator and works great.

But I tried to compile it with Qliberator, the compiler gave 2 errors sbout an LRUN statement and a END_FOR without variable.

But really nice programme, excellent documentation.

Regards,

Derek
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi all,
The wind is still gusty to the point it trashed our Garden Arch, adding yet another job to my list! There have been a few power outages but luckily restored relatively quickly. Sat Evening back online I took a chanced and managed a quick view of your responses. This morning I’ve managed to put together something of a response. Fingers crossed the Power stays up?

The QBITS Progs are written in S/SuperBASIC and checked as far as I am able using QPCII Emulator. As for expanding the availably to run on other platforms they will need extended memory and Toolkit II. As for processing in Interpreter mode a minimum of 10x and more like 50Plus of a BBQL speed. The high res and extended colour range provided under QPCII will no doubt also suffer.

Pjw I have added a standalone version of GALAXY - AD2375v3BBQL set for a 512x256 screen, that hopefully meets some of your suggestions to access.

You can find QBITS AD2375_v3BBQL in the uploaded zip.

MK79 your inquiry as to the function of (H)arvest prompted a slight rewording of the text of the accompanying pdf. See Tactical below.

QBITS GALXY AD2375
After choosing which side to play, the aim is to reduce your opponent’s Star Systems to Zero. An Attack outcome is a Victory and acquisition of the Star System or an abort due to insufficient WMD’s to continue the attack. Victory secures an increase in Star Ships Tactical Stock adding to or replacing lost items. The next move is to Transfer from Star Ship to Planet to raise output for a (H)arvest. Transfer from Planet to Star Ship is then used to replenish and increase Tactical capability for future encounters.

QBITS AD2375 Tactical
There will be times when an Attack has reduced your Tactical Stock, Weapons WMD’s to critical levels. Select a Star System with zero WMDs or one already annexed and Hyperspace Jump to Orbit. Transfer Stocks from Star Ship to Planet to increase the (H)arvest yields. Transfer results from Planet to Star Ship to build up your Tactical Stocks ie. WMDs. This can be repeated until ready to carry out further Attacks on enemy Star Systems.

Compiling Errors, Derick the LRUN issue that you mention, the DEF PROC GExit on line 1071 uses LRUN to reboot the QBITSProgs Menu. As mentioned before the AD2375 Prog is one of a suite of programs linked with QBITSProgs Menu and QBITSConfig. I will post a New Collective QBITSProgs Update soon. As for the missing END FOR loop, my error QPCII is so forgiving hopefully now corrected. See new AD2375_v3 upload in .zip

Coffee Break Mode
1980s Retro Computer Games, shooting up the aliens with Lasor Beams, which my son being only 2 at the time called lazy beans, prompts me to remind those none gamers that QBITS AD2375 Design includes the ability to play itself ‘Simulation Mode’. Start a New Game and Press F1, then sit back and watch or maybe even use it as a background screen.

Hope this all helps. Thanks again for your response.

QBITS
Attachments
GALAXY_AD2375_v3.zip
(801.89 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
QBITS GALAXY.jpg

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi All,

QBITS SuperBASIC Progs for working with QPCII Emulator
Some changes to arrangements of the Menu Prog and some further work completed on the full Documentation (although not ready for release just yet).
For now, Basic Key controls are given in QBITSProgs_IntroPT1 and PT2 to accommodate site file size restrictions.

QBITS COP50
A little further progress. Use of the Pointer Environment has been on the QBITS Progs agenda for some time.
Armed with Albin Hessler & Marcel Kilgus EasyPtr4 Manual 2016 plus Norman Dunbar’s Tutorials,
many thanks by the way, I have made a start.

QBITS
Attachments
QBITSProgs04.zip
(148.88 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
QBITSProgs04_IntroP1.pdf
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
QBITSProgs04_IntroP2.pdf
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
QBITS_Globe_PE.jpg
QBITS_Globe_PE.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
QBITSProgs04.jpg
Last edited by qbits on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Wow :)

4E75 7000
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, on my laptop, I cannot read the QPC2 start screen configuration figures in the INTRO_p1 pdf file...

Perhaps this could be enlarged somehow to make them readable ?

Steve.

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi Steve,
Not sure of your problem....
If you’re using Adobe Acrobat Reader (freely available) just enlarge the screen view.
The controls are part of the tools bar. I can Zoom to 400% and the details are still clear to read.

QBITS

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I can read the PDF files on my mobile phone. But usually use a 10" Tablet to read manuals.

I reaaly like the QBITS manuals , very written.

Regards,

Derek
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Qbits,

Yes, I can read the start-screen info now using Adobe.

However, I had to use the latest QPC2 version to get the settings indicated. That done, my laptops are QWERTY & AZERTY set up for french language, so no joy...

I tried various tweaks, but it would appear that as often happens, big programs with a lot of settings are just incompatible here in France, unless I buy a specificaly adapted system to run them on.... Otherwise I would have to remap a lot of keys.

By the way, QPC versions of most smsq/e programs in themselves run fine here.

A big pity, as your program looks great, judging by the screens shown on the forum !

Steve.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

When I have time I'll have to take a crack at some more of these. I got the Sound Explorer to compile and run. Will see what else I can get compiled. All these programs seem really neat.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I agree with the comments made by
derek_stewart:- I really like the QBITS manuals.
stevepoole:- Your program looks great.
bwinkel67:- All these programs seem really neat.

My problem is that I can't get them to run well (or even at all) on my SMSQE configuration.

I have a question:- Where is the file, "QBITSconfig"?

I can only run the programs, not ex them, and after running a program I am always left with an image
in the top left hand corner of my screen that covers all my buttons.

I am slowly learning to program in compiled SBASIC and I can see that I have much to
learn from QBITS programs and would like to modify the source code such that I can compile
them without line numbers.

If the programs were compiled and positioned somewhere other than in the top left hand corner of
my screen, I would find them much easier to use.