Software incompatibilies?

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Re: Software incompatibilies?

Post by belg4rion67 »

RWAP wrote:Are you enabling the Toolkit II ROM (needed for LRESPR especially):

Add TK2_EXT to your boot file.
I'm again on this post because I've a little doubt about my config: on my QL (base machine) I've changed original JS roms with a 64Kbyte eprom with in first 48 kbyte Minerva 1.98 SO and in last 16 kbyte TKII, I also installed Sandy SuperQboard with additional 512Kbyte ram, fdd interface and lpt interface and, I suppose, a part of TKII.
My question is: can live TKII on eprom, with part of TKII on Sandy board?
It seems yes but sometimes with few programs my QL has strange behaviour: doesn't recognise a command but after a clear or dir it works again...
Have you some idea about that? Why I don't need to write TK2_EXT command to have toolkit adds operative? (it works immediatly after boot)
Cheers

Only original hardware! :)
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

So far as I know the Sandy SuperQBoard has the full Toolkit II built into it, so you should not need the Toolkit II EPROM at the same time.

If there are commands missing (ie. the SuperQBoard has a subset of Toolkit II), then it should be possible for both to co-exist, although TK2_EXT would be needed to initialise the Toolkit II EPROM.

There may be some conflict from the network commands, but that is probably all, as the new functions and procedures in the EPROM initialised when you enter the command TK2_EXT will over-write those on the SuperQBoard (initialised when the QL first boots).

I have a spare SuperQBoard manual here if required (i need to dig it out, hence my vague answer above).

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The SuperQBoard used a full version of TKII. The version was updated a couple of times.

I used to sit there for hours burning the EPROMs on a QEPIII programmer.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Dave wrote:The SuperQBoard used a full version of TKII. The version was updated a couple of times.
To add to that:
The SuperQBoard's TKII (mine, at least) is only activated after "TK2_EXT" (And, to confirm what Dave has said: From my experience, the SuperQBoard contains a full TK2). So I guess you should be safe with burning a new EPROM without TK2. What probably happens there is that the expanded drivers of the two ROMS (net and file system,...) have both their ISRs, Polling and Scheduler Loop routines linked in and only the last ROM to be linked in its Basic procedures. This could very well cause some hickups.

If you don't want to burn your complete ROM but have access to an EPROM burner that can address single locations, it would suffice to invalidate the TK2 ROM header (the $4aFB $0001 signature at the beginning). This should prevent the ROM from being linked into the OS.

Cheers,
tofro

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Ok, then if I well understood your tips the best thing is burn on first 48k Minerva OS and use toolkit 2 of Sandy board isn't it?
All right sunday I'll burn new eprom and test it :)
Thanks to all

Only original hardware! :)
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

and of course Dilwyn has done extensive articles in QUANTA on the fabled .zip _zip issue(s) :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:and of course Dilwyn has done extensive articles in QUANTA on the fabled .zip _zip issue(s) :)
Ugh...don't remind me. Zipping, unzipping, bad parameter, loss of file headers...

It never goes away no matter how hard I try to explain it.

The sheer range of "QL" filing systems on the various systems - emulators, Q40, Q60, Qubide, QXL.WIN and so on make it hard for people to keep up with such topics.

Dilwyn