QL WIKI - HELP!!

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

QL WIKI - HELP!!

Post by RWAP »

I just do not have the time to keep working on the QL Wiki.

When I have asked people for help / comments, all I seem to get is 'there is no information about X....'

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the Sinclair QL - we should be making the most of any publicity surrounding the anniversary, and promote the QL, its hardware and software as much as possible, so as to get some impetus behind the various projects going and maybe tease out some of the copyright holders, so that more software can be re-released.

The Wiki is crucial to this effort - there is masses of information which could be added to it - by anyone with half an hour to spend looking at a QL World / QL User magazine and entering some of the information from an advert (say the Digital Precision adverts which had a mass of information / hype about their programs).

If people want to sit back, bemoan the lack of software and information, then expect me / Dilwyn and Urs to enter all of the information - well, give us another 30 years and we might find time.

8-)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QL WIKI - HELP!!

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I just do not have the time to keep working on the QL Wiki.
If people want to sit back, bemoan the lack of software and information, then expect me / Dilwyn and Urs to enter all of the information - well, give us another 30 years and we might find time.
8-)
As a good example of how a little help can make a difference, look at the plethora of PD stuff which has been added to my website in recent weeks.

This is directly because Martin Head has volunteered to help and is weekly sending me a new batch of stuff he has filtered out from the CD I sent him. It still means a bit of work putting it onto the website itself, but a lot of baseline work is being done by Martin, freeing me up for other things (e.g. today is Quanta mag news column day!).

So... if anyone is willing to help Rich with putting information on the QL Wiki, it would make a HUGE difference. This preservation work is much bigger than we thought.

Having been a QL user for 30 years now, I thought I had come across just about everything there was to come across. No chance! Every day I work on preservation brings something new - who was "Pigsty Software" who made a QL Morse Trainer ? Who was "Easysoft"? Who was "Bedsoft" who release Gambler/Beat The Clock/Autodraw for the QL? Who was Brainstorm who released West-monster Palace for the QL?

Working through all this is demanding but rewarding. I happen to have a full set of QL World and QL User, plus the Chris Adams and Sector Software magazine indexes, so I can find the answers to most of these questions given time. But I also start to realise just how much QL software has been released over the years that I have no memory of, but which no doubt someone out there has that one surviving copy!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I'm still in the process of de-tatting before I can get all my QL mags and stuff out to play :(

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

As a latecomer to the QL, is there a on-line archive of QL World / QL User magazines?

So far I have come across a couple of issues of each on the World of Spectrum site, but that's all I have found so far (not including sits that only have indexes).

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

1024MAK wrote:As a latecomer to the QL, is there a on-line archive of QL World / QL User magazines?

So far I have come across a couple of issues of each on the World of Spectrum site, but that's all I have found so far (not including sits that only have indexes).

Mark
There's a few issues as PDFs on http://sinclairql.speccy.org/archivo/docs/docs.htm

Technically they're probably still subject to copyright after all these years, but I'm surprised nobody has actually scanned and made them available - a lot of sites do tend to treat resources like the QL World and QL User magazines as abandonware I suppose.

Various indexes are of course available on the Database page on my website to help people find issues with articles of interest. http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/database/index.html