The humongous Sandy Electronics thread...

A place to discuss general QL issues.
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: The humongous Sandy Electronics thread...

Post by 1024MAK »

RWAP wrote:
Dave wrote:There will also be a plentiful supply of Minerva upgrades which also contain TK2.
Just wondering what these Minerva + TK2 upgrades will be - remember the ordinary Minerva uses up the QL's standard 48K ROM space, and does not include Toolkit II normally....
From what I can see, the "decoded" enable line to the ROM sockets (depending on which issue board and what chips, mask ROMs or EPROMs were fitted) is mapped to both the OS ROM space and the 16k for the ROM cart. port.

So getting a 64k byte EPROM to work in one of the sockets is not that hard, it would be mapped to the OS ROM space and to the ROM cart. space.

But a question for Dave: Do the EPROMs for your existing Minerva boards (that you are selling on your site) include Toolkit II? Or are you talking about a new version?

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

https://plus.google.com/102707388912782 ... qLKJjsC9HA

64K eprom works in ROM socket with a couple of fiddles. This one happens to have the SuperHermes driver in the uper 16k.

G

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I have 24 Minerva here. All EPROMS will be burned to order. If these sell out, I will make more, unless demand for I2C is very light, in which case I'll make a batch like Mk I.

Some will have a blank top 16K, others will have TK2 in the top 16K, or people can supply their own ROM image.

Wimdev
ROM Dongle

Post by Wimdev »

I'm one of those Minerva pre-order guys. Glad to hear it's going to get shipped out later this week.
Am I right in assuming that if I want the network to work correctly I need TK2 in ROM? I have a small network of QLs at home, but my one BBQL won't recognize the networked floppies if I load TK2 in Its RAM. The other two QLs (GC and SGC) have no problems and share devices without trouble. I plan on dropping the Minerva in my unmodified QL, so if the ROM would come with the TK2 as well (and it fixes the problem) that'd be great.

Willem

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Hi Willem,

Absolutely.

I'll make sure you have TK2 in your ROM. Network will work, and I hope you'll be happy with the results. It's been really hard work getting to here, mostly due to other projects but... Yes... It's taken too long! I apologise. I'm humbled by everyone's faith in us.

I hope you are all happy with what comes next. :)

Wimdev
ROM Dongle

Post by Wimdev »

Hi Dave,

Perfect! I'll definitely let you know how it turns out once I have the rom. As for the other projects, you can pencil me in for a RAM upgrade of any size. Finding the original articles on eBay or SMR is just too hard.

Willem

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Dave wrote:Hi Willem,

Absolutely.

I'll make sure you have TK2 in your ROM. Network will work, and I hope you'll be happy with the results. It's been really hard work getting to here, mostly due to other projects but... Yes... It's taken too long! I apologise. I'm humbled by everyone's faith in us.

I hope you are all happy with what comes next. :)
Hi Dave, I'm one of the lucky guy with an eprom programmer so if you send my pre-order minerva with blank rom, I've no problem to program it with what I want :)
Thank you very much for your great work for us.. :D

Only original hardware! :)
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Dave wrote:I have 24 Minerva here. All EPROMS will be burned to order. If these sell out, I will make more, unless demand for I2C is very light, in which case I'll make a batch like Mk I.

Some will have a blank top 16K, others will have TK2 in the top 16K, or people can supply their own ROM image.
Ok, I will need a full blown RAM (640k) with Minerva. But...I have a QFlash EPROM card for three EPROMS (I think, similar to the CST ones), this should also work. So, if you could help me in anyway...?

BTW: If someone is interesting: I have a modified Minerva, which starts at F1, not F2 (Autostart), has all black windows / white fonts and not the "special Lau fonts"....

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I'll try to get an answer on that multi ROM card and get back to you.

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Ralf R. wrote:
Dave wrote:I have 24 Minerva here. All EPROMS will be burned to order. If these sell out, I will make more, unless demand for I2C is very light, in which case I'll make a batch like Mk I.

Ok, I will need a full blown RAM (640k) with Minerva. But...I have a QFlash EPROM card for three EPROMS (I think, similar to the CST ones), this should also work. So, if you could help me in anyway...?

BTW: If someone is interesting: I have a modified Minerva, which starts at F1, not F2 (Autostart), has all black windows / white fonts and not the "special Lau fonts"....
Hi Ralf,
I'm interested to your custom Minnie, if you could share with me a bin file I'll appreciate a lot :)

Only original hardware! :)