68K/OS "ROM" based disk attempt

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
t0nyt
Gold Card

68K/OS "ROM" based disk attempt

Post by t0nyt »

I've been trying to find a way to put some of the 68K/OS tools into "ROM DISK" to

a) Make them available to Q-emuLator
b) Burn the most important utilities into real EPROM to plug-in to the 68K/OS hardware

So far I have a ROM image for Q-emuLator that lists 1 program (BAUD) under the "ROM:" device

Am still trying to find out how to have multiple programs listed, but can run BAUD (sort of!)

I'm pretty sure now that the existing dumps (at least of BAUD & a couple of others I tried) of the OS disk programs we have in the downloads section are corrupt (am going to try and make a dump on the hardware to manually compare BAUD byte by byte as it's small, or I may try to make new serial dumps). The reason I assume this is because of the results you can see in the image below

EDIT: Although, thinking about it, it may not be a corruption but something to do with the offsets in memory. Needs further investigation

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 18.17.58.png
Many thanks

M68008
Trump Card

Re: 68K/OS "ROM" based disk attempt

Post by M68008 »

t0nyt wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:48 pm I'm pretty sure now that the existing dumps (at least of BAUD & a couple of others I tried) of the OS disk programs we have in the downloads section are corrupt (am going to try and make a dump on the hardware to manually compare BAUD byte by byte as it's small, or I may try to make new serial dumps). The reason I assume this is because of the results you can see in the image below
Hi t0nyt, yes, the copy on qlforum seems corrupt, and the disks don't use the standard QDOS format.

If you are willing to do some work, I think the best way to preserve the microdrive cartridges, and to add support in emulators, would be to attach a logic analizer to the microdrive expansion port and capture a trace while the drive is spinning. I could then convert the trace to a microdrive image. There are inexpensive logic analyzers for around 10€ on Amazon. In case you are interested, I can assist you with the details.

Thanks,
Daniele (Q-emuLator)

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

M68008 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:59 pm
t0nyt wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:48 pm I'm pretty sure now that the existing dumps (at least of BAUD & a couple of others I tried) of the OS disk programs we have in the downloads section are corrupt (am going to try and make a dump on the hardware to manually compare BAUD byte by byte as it's small, or I may try to make new serial dumps). The reason I assume this is because of the results you can see in the image below
Hi t0nyt, yes, the copy on qlforum seems corrupt, and the disks don't use the standard QDOS format.

If you are willing to do some work, I think the best way to preserve the microdrive cartridges, and to add support in emulators, would be to attach a logic analizer to the microdrive expansion port and capture a trace while the drive is spinning. I could then convert the trace to a microdrive image. There are inexpensive logic analyzers for around 10€ on Amazon. In case you are interested, I can assist you with the details.

Thanks,
Daniele (Q-emuLator)
Hi Daniele

This is certainly something I'd be keen to do when circumstances allow (I'm a 24/7 carer with little time or space to do something like this), but if you can let me know exactly what I should get I'll get it in ready so I can give it a go as circumstances allow.

I'm currently concentrating on working out the layout of the ROM (for multiple programs) as it's something I can do on my laptop on my lap when I have spare minutes

Many thanks
Tony

ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

Post by ones' complement »

Would doing a cartridge dump using FORMAT RAM1_MDV1 be possible? (assumes at least map is same as normal QL mdv.)

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

ones' complement wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:51 am Would doing a cartridge dump using FORMAT RAM1_MDV1 be possible? (assumes at least map is same as normal QL mdv.)
Sadly, it’s a completely different format to QDOS

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

The MDV Imaging first appeared with the Trump Card, I am not sure if this works with other expansions.

But the resultant MDV image in RAM1 is just a sector copy of the files from the MDV in question. All readable wih QDOS devices to the RAM drve.

Regards,

Derek
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Oh yes! Well chuffed... (persistence pays off and it was so simple in the end)

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 14.09.59.png

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Have left out the 4 least important applications due to space constraint, and errmsg.proc is renamed as it's where 68K/OS loads error descriptions from and again I think it's a corrupt file

I guess the next job is try some new file transfers over serial (starting with errmsg.proc) to try and run something properly

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 17.37.31.png
Last edited by t0nyt on Sun May 05, 2024 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

To try a new transfer I only really have BAUD/COPY (to serial) available on the QL end

Can anyone recommend what I should try running at the other end to easily capture and save what's coming down the line please?

Many thanks

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Was fed up of typing ".prog" so have used programs internal names. Looks tidier too

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 06.26.47.png