SMSQ/E Colour issue!

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Andrew
Aurora

SMSQ/E Colour issue!

Post by Andrew »

It seems that SMSQ/E is not defining the colour correctly.
The color is defined as colour, contrast, stipple - in this example (see attached image) the background colour is defined as PAPER 5,4,3
It seems that SMSQ/E is reversing the colour and contrast, so on SMSQ/E systems the paper is actually 4,5,3!!
Look at the top left pixel - on SMSQ/E is Green, on QDOS is cyan
This issue is visible when running QSTAR on the same real QL in QDOS and then in SMSQ/E

This makes loading perfectly aligned images on a stippled background impossible on both SMSQ/E and QDOS!
10.jpg

Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: SMSQ/E Colour issue!

Post by Martin_Head »

Do you see the same swapped colour effect in other stipple patterns?
Maybe SMSQ/E just uses a different 'chequerboard' stipple pattern, which would not effect the colour seen by the eye.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Martin_Head wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 am Do you see the same swapped colour effect in other stipple patterns?
Maybe SMSQ/E just uses a different 'chequerboard' stipple pattern, which would not effect the colour seen by the eye.
Yes, I see the swapped colour effect in all stipple patterns.
I played with all stipple patterns in QEmulator, QPC, QL +QDOS and QL+SMSQE - took pictures of the screen output and zoomed in Photoshop. In SMSQE all stipple colours are reversed compared to QDOS.
Last edited by Andrew on Sun May 05, 2024 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artificer
Over Heated PSU

Post by Artificer »

Have you tried older versions of smsq/e as it is astounding that this has not been spotted before, the GD2 colour drivers have been around for at least 20 years and smsq/e itself longer?

Cheers

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Artificer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:58 am Have you tried older versions of smsq/e as it is astounding that this has not been spotted before, the GD2 colour drivers have been around for at least 20 years and smsq/e itself longer?

Cheers
No, I have not tried older versions. I have installed SMSQE on my SGC QL only last year - and I use v3.39 (Now I see that there is a newer version, 3.40)
Well, maybe nobody spotted this because most people use the high colour mode and have no use for stipples. And I guess I might be the only crazy guy who tried to load a stippled image over a stippled background and tried to pixel-align it :)

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

The issue is much easier to spot when using stipple=2 (vertical bars)
11.jpg

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Could the problem be with QDOS having th Stipples in the wrong order and GD2 corrected the problem.

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Artificer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:58 am Have you tried older versions of smsq/e as it is astounding that this has not been spotted before, the GD2 colour drivers have been around for at least 20 years and smsq/e itself longer?
See my entry on the STAR1 post.
I tested PAPER 5,4,3 with an older SMSQE v2.91 and the issue was already there.
The Basic border stipple starts off white (QDOS, Minerva) but black on SMSQE.

BSJR

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:08 pm Hi,

Could the problem be with QDOS having th Stipples in the wrong order and GD2 corrected the problem.
Could be. But in the end SMSQE should maintain compatibility with QDOS, not the other way round.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The SMSQ/E writers seem to just change and us poor users have figure out what they have done.

Regards,

Derek