QL Test ROM

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
andy_edin
ROM Dongle

QL Test ROM

Post by andy_edin »

Hi,

I've been looking for a QL system test ROM but without any luck. Ideally an eprom image which can test the main system components like RAM, ZX8301, 8302 and interrupts - perhaps something like a QL version of Retrolum for the spectrum ? Does anyone know if such a thing exists ?

I've found a brief reference to a test ROM/microdrive programme but can't find any more on the ROM image.

Many thanks,

Andy.

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Re: QL Test ROM

Post by Chris_68 »

Hi, You mean the one from Thorn?
Urs has them in his repository
https://www.sinclairql.net/downloads/TH ... s-SQPP.zip

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

I test this cartridge some time ago.

Basically it contains a basic program for the quality test of the QL, some basic test like keyboard, serial, microdrive and graphics.

I think it's only useful to detect bad soldering on connectors during manufacturing, it depends on a fully working QL to use it. as is basic.

It's far from the characteristics that we got on other system Test ROM.

I don't think this is useful to detect any of the typical failures that we expect in a 40 years old computer.

andy_edin
ROM Dongle

Post by andy_edin »

Hi Both,

Many thanks for the link and info.

I've taken a look and these look like addon ROMS of some description. Do you know if any of these act as a replacement test ROM - i.e. can I use one of them as a replacement for the usual JS ROM ?

Andy.

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Post by Chris_68 »

Hi,

Sorry I misunderstood your question, I have tried most of them and all of them need a ROM.
apart from Minerva RAM test I di nit know of any dedicated test ROM you can boot from.