Floppy problemsve.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Fred de Boer
ROM Dongle

Floppy problemsve.

Post by Fred de Boer »

When I start my QL and the dual floppy drives are attached the QL doesn’t start, nothing to see on the monitor
And with the floppy drive disconnected it will start normall, the ql build in a spem system 2 with a sandy disc controller with 512 K memory and a dual 3,5 inch drive. I didn’t use the system for a long time so it has been shifted around a view times. Anyone got an idea what’s wrong?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Floppy problemsve.

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Maybe there is problems with the floppy disk cable connecting to the QL, if it is gge wrong way around, all the data lies lines will be grounded. Usually the Disk Drive LEDs are both on.

Check that the drives are correctly connected in the floopy disk case.

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 pm Hi,

Maybe there is problems with the floppy disk cable connecting to the QL, if it is gge wrong way around, all the data lies lines will be grounded. Usually the Disk Drive LEDs are both on.

Check that the drives are correctly connected in the floopy disk case.
Most floppy cables have a notch to make sure it fits only one way. But I have come across Sony drives where the connector was mounted the other way around, I had to file off the notch for a correct fit.
So it's always good to check the printing on the drive pcb that the pin 1 line is going to pin 1 at the other end.

BSJR

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Actually, a floppy drive connected to the controller, even if connected the wrong way round, shouldn't prevent the QL from starting. Maybe the PSU has aged and has problems providing the Amps properly?

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I would also suggest unplugging the cables from the floppy drives them-self's. In case one of the drives is faulty.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tofro wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:38 am Actually, a floppy drive connected to the controller, even if connected the wrong way round, shouldn't prevent the QL from starting. Maybe the PSU has aged and has problems providing the Amps properly?
I was thinking the same