Hardware Reference Guide

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Hardware Reference Guide

Post by Dave »

Hi all,

I have been reading my hardware reference guide a lot recently, but I am having some problems with the document.

Firstly, it only covers Iss. 5 and Iss. 6 boards. There's no schematic for the Iss. 7 board.

Also, there are mistakes in the schematics and descriptions that differ from the actual PCBs - particularly in the area of serial ports and around the 1377.

Is there a later version of the hardware reference guide?

Does anyone have a schematic that actually represents the serial ports as implemented on the Iss. 7 board, or do I need to ruin a perfectly good PCB by stripping one of components to work out what is going on?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Hardware Reference Guide

Post by tofro »

Dave,
I have never seen hardware documentation for anything newer than an issue 6 QL. And I very much doubt it exists (or rather, ever left Sinclair Research).

The issue 7 boards came that late in the QL's life that I suspect Sinclair didn't have enough funds/energy/urgency to edit a new HW refguide. As far as I can see, the Issue 7 boards look a bit different, but that's just the new PCB - The underlying schematics look pretty much identical to me.

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Hardware Reference Guide

Post by Dave »

Thank you, that's good to know.

I am playing with a new PCB design as a fun project using scavenged parts and home-etched PCBs - and it's just frustrating that the reference materials I am working from, published by Sinclair themselves, are wrong.