SD Card Reader

A place to discuss general QL issues.
AndrewLambert
ROM Dongle

SD Card Reader

Post by AndrewLambert »

Hello all,
I've had so much fun so far with the QL. Got myself a super cheap one because of a keyboard fault, switched the membrane out and everything was good.
I was using SCART to a TV and I really wanted monitor mode, so Techy kindly supplied a little QL2VGA which worked perfectly. Next on the list was ROM, and CHR$ supplied me with the Minerva socket adapter, but whilst I was awaiting the arrival of the magic upgrade, my QL developed a fault as it warmed up the display went a bit broken up. It would be OK after cooling down but was progressing. After a few days like this, it became permanent and there wasn't a display readable enough for Minerva memory test to tell me anything.

So, out came the oscilloscope followed by the Microdrives and then the motherboard. On to Ebay for some new old stock TTL DIP devices. IC19, 20 and 21 are now socketed my display is all good again. I had such a lovely nostalgic time breathing the rosin flux vapour, taking me right back to my young apprentice Electronic Engineering days when the yellow orange Texas TTL Data Book and the RS catalogue ruled my working life. I didn't risk lifting pads, I clipped the legs from the little 74 series devils, before removing the estranged pins and finally sucking out the holes. I had dig out some very old lead solder to assist with that last step - and to solder in the new sockets. How lucky that no 4864 DRAM devices had gone bad. I have some spares now anyway.

So, having invested so much time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience I need to be doing more with my new little friend and I am looking for more add-ons. So anyone patient enough to have read this far, I thank you and ask if you can tell me where I might get my hands on an external storage device that would operate in lieu of the microdrives? Preferably an SD card adapter that would allow me to load up QL software and save any productive output?

Thanks.

XorA
Site Admin

Re: SD Card Reader

Post by XorA »

Search this forum for QIMSI, that's the current best option for a BBQL!

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

If you prefer an internal reader and have no interest in a mouse port, then QL-SD is also a nice option.
QL-SD is just no longer made, so you'd need to find it second hand.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Both QIMSI and QL-SD give your computer a WIN image (i.e. hard disk sized). If you want microdrive emulation, you have three other choices. There is vDrive, there is OqtaDrive, and then a new one that gives you MDV cartridge-sized solid state drives. The latter one needs to be installed internally, the first two connect to the microdrive expansion port. With vDrive, you don't even need any external power as it is self-contained and an SD card can become multiple external microdrives. OqtaDrive uses a connection to a host machine instead of an SD card.

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

bwinkel67 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:22 am With vDrive, you don't even need any external power as it is self-contained and an SD card can become multiple external microdrives. OqtaDrive uses a connection to a host machine instead of an SD card.
The standalone variant of OqtaDrive is also self-contained and can be powered from the Microdrive port. It can be controlled via WiFi, or from the QL itself. For the QL, there's also an internal version (again self-contained). Both are described here. OqtaDrive also works with Spectrums, which might be of interest if you have one. For overall features, see here.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I still have a vDrive and vLink for sale:

https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4671

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

xelalex wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:30 am For the QL, there's also an internal version (again self-contained).
As the SD card is not accessible, I wouldn't see the internal QL version as self-contained.
With the QL case closed, one requires a PC and Wifi connection to exchange data.
Nice for those who prefer remote-controlled retro-computing from a PC.
But those who see the card itself as the medium to interchange data between QLs, have to use the external device.

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Peter wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:07 pm As the SD card is not accessible, I wouldn't see the internal QL version as self-contained.
With the QL case closed, one requires a PC and Wifi connection to exchange data.
Sure. And what do you use to write/read to/from SD cards?

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

xelalex wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:44 pm
Peter wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:07 pm As the SD card is not accessible, I wouldn't see the internal QL version as self-contained.
Sure. And what do you use to write/read to/from SD cards?
QL and QL and Q68 and Q60. The SD card works as a removable medium between my QLs and compatibles. Like floppy disk or microdrive cartridge in earlier days. I can also use a PC emulator of course, but the data exchange between my native machines works independently.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

xelalex wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:44 pm Sure. And what do you use to write/read to/from SD cards?
A PC.