ql+ prototype rebuild ? possible

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
techy
Gold Card

Re: ql+ prototype rebuild ? possible

Post by techy »

It seems the inside has been prepared for a raspberry pi and some smaller interfacing .

i will continue to search on my side , any help from your side highly appreciated .

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I would be interested in building a case, can you send me the construction files.

Regards,

Derek
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

Derek ,

pm sent

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

Can someone tell me how to get an raspberry pi 4 ( ?? GB ) into an ql ?

Please .

i know i need to get a ql keyboard to usb interface , some micro hdmi cables and an sd card extender , BUT what else ??

i do seem a bit lost here ( unknown territory ) , so a step by step would be handy .

aka , a file i can put on my pi to start with ( no knowledge so far ) .

And some info how to get an ql keyboard to pi interface ( usb i think ) to connect it .

Anyone willing to help here ?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

You try:
https://codeberg.org/xelalexv/spectratur

Which allow a QL to use a PS/2 or USB keyboard.

Also look at thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4012

But I am not sure this is what you want.

Tynemouth Software did a QL USB keyboard interface

Regards,

Derek
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

Derek ,

i can start reading now :-)

any ready to use file for an pi4 and a ql emulator ?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If you load in JAVA SMSQmulator can run.

sQLux runs quite well on a Pi4, But needs SDL2 development libraries to compile it.

I have just aquired a cheap Pi400 and this all work great.

Regards,

Derek
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on your "QLwafer" project:-

I have run SMSQE in both a Pi4 and a Pi5. The Pi 4 is a bit too slow but runs SMSQE without problems. The Pi5 is much faster but needs a fan to keep it cool and has some display problems with my installation of SMSQE.

As you can see from the picture of my Pi5 fake QL design below, the Pi5 needs adapter leads to bring the HDMI, USB and USBC sockets to the outside of the case. My guess is, your box would need an adapter container to hold the Pi.

There is a pi4 compute module which is very small and "they" say that a pi5 compute module will be available soon. The compute module would be difficult to use.

Getting a Pi to run SMSQE is not as easy as getting a PC to run it. If you want to run SMSQE at a high resolution eg. 1920 x 1200 (see pic) you need to run SMSQmulator for Java. When I find the time I will post the step by step process I used to do this on my Pi5 design.

The real difficulty is the QL keyboard to USB interface. This is why I have decided to
use a standard USB keyboard for my "not very QL wafer in PC" design I am in the process of making. (see 2 pics).
All the bits in boxes-min.JPG
SMSQE at 1920 x 1200 SMSQmulator.jpg
image00001.jpg
image00002.jpg

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Why not run sQ68Lay on the RPI, you will have to compile the emulator, but XorA has made the compilation really easy.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm Hi,

Why not run sQ68Lay on the RPI, you will have to compile the emulator, but XorA has made the compilation really easy.
To be fair it’s not really ready for prime time yet. Someone get me 4 weeks holiday from work 🤣