Memory Expansion Etc.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
t0nyt
Gold Card

Memory Expansion Etc.

Post by t0nyt »

Hi All,

I was wondering what options I have for memory expansion on my QL please? (other than waiting and hoping something like a GC or SGC comes up for sale on eBay)

Some form of memory expansion is the main thing on my wanted list (preferably without needing to break out the soldering iron) but a floppy disk controller would also be good

Any thoughts/advise please?

Many thanks
Tony

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Memory Expansion Etc.

Post by tofro »

User Chr$ tends to build RAM expansion boards every now and then, if I remember right - better ask him directly. These would keep the CPU at the 68008, just expand the RAM to the original anticipated maximum.

If I were you, I would really re-think the floppy approach: Floppies are, in my opinion, the least comfortable and most expensive replacement for microdrives. Have a look at the Qimsi thread here that gives you an SD card storage solution which is easy to install and operate (and allows uncomplicated data exchange with modern hardware). Until you have collected second-hand drives, an interface, and some sort of power supply, you will be well over the cost of a Qimsi.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

As for technical infos on QIMSI, you can get an overview here: viewtopic.php?p=52683#p52683
Likely you'd have to wait for the next production batch though.
The availability of QL RAM expansions is precarious. The best is to follow Tobias' advice. If that fails, I also don't know better than watching the "for sale" section and the usual second hand platforms.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

tofro wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:31 am User Chr$ tends to build RAM expansion boards every now and then, if I remember right - better ask him directly. These would keep the CPU at the 68008, just expand the RAM to the original anticipated maximum.

If I were you, I would really re-think the floppy approach: Floppies are, in my opinion, the least comfortable and most expensive replacement for microdrives. Have a look at the Qimsi thread here that gives you an SD card storage solution which is easy to install and operate (and allows uncomplicated data exchange with modern hardware). Until you have collected second-hand drives, an interface, and some sort of power supply, you will be well over the cost of a Qimsi.
Thanks for the info/advise Tobias. Have DM'd Chr$ re the QuintupLer as I'm not really bothered about keeping the 68008

I already have powered floppy drives I could use (I'm a bit old school) but will look into the Qimsi as a more flexible alternative thanks

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Peter wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am As for technical infos on QIMSI, you can get an overview here: viewtopic.php?p=52683#p52683
Likely you'd have to wait for the next production batch though.
The availability of QL RAM expansions is precarious. The best is to follow Tobias' advice. If that fails, I also don't know better than watching the "for sale" section and the usual second hand platforms.
Thanks Peter.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Taking onboard the advise I've asked to be put on the lists/queues for a QuintupLer & QIMSI, thanks

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Got your message, thanks Tony.

I have one available for you right now, but tend to always make sure I have a couple here and will always make on demand for anyone that wants one. Same for the VGA adapters and felt pads. I try to make sure I have the required parts available at all times

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Have ordered a QuintupLer from Chr$, my new QL adventure begins!

Many thanks Chris

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

I have a 3.5" Floppy drive which I'm going to try and use (along with a GoTek) with the QL when my Trump card arrives

It's one that only needs 5v and I'll be powering them both from a 5v 2amp PSU for now (hopefully)

But I'm unclear as to whether I need to cable just the 5v & a ground, 5v and both grounds or provide 5v to both the 5v & 12v lines

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
Tony

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

You won't need the 5v on the 12v line. And one ground should be enough (use the one next to the 5v).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.