QXL Board - Software

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
RWAP
RWAP Master

QXL Board - Software

Post by RWAP »

What software was provided with the QXL board? Was it just the original SMSQ or was there any support software?

A customer has a QXL board, but not any of the supporting disks so I was wondering what I need to send him?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QXL Board - Software

Post by tofro »

If I recall right, one additional component was a DOS-based version of config that basically had the same features as config on QDOS, but was a DOS application and could be used to configure SMSQE from DOS. This application seems to be lost, I was searching for it a few months ago but couldn't find it anywhere.

Without that program, the only way to configure SMSQE.EXE on a QXL is to put it on a floppy disk and run config from SMSQ/E itself (which can create some sort of chicken-and-egg problem...).
Last edited by tofro on Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
desin
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by desin »

config (DOS)

http://www.kilgus.net/qpc/config.zip

Greetings from Switzerland

Markus

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Thanks, Markus - Apparently I should be working on my Google-Fu :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

tofro wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:12 am Thanks, Markus - Apparently I should be working on my Google-Fu :)
The QXL software is with the replacement manual on QL Homepage.
https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/docs/manua ... ml#miracle

It is SMSQ v2.76, last non-pointered version.
There is CONFIG and CONFIG.EXE in the zip file, one of those must be the DOS version.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The files on my QXL disks are:
C68_40.BAS
CONFIG
HOTREXT
PTRGEN
QLIB_OBJ.BAS
QLIB_RUN.BAS
QREF.BAS
QXL.DAT
SMSQ.EXE
VERSION.ASM
WMAN
The last QXL I sold, I added: SMSQE338.exe

The manual was supplied on paper, too big for a floppy disk.

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

RWAP wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:27 am What software was provided with the QXL board? Was it just the original SMSQ or was there any support software?

A customer has a QXL board, but not any of the supporting disks so I was wondering what I need to send him?
Below is a copy from the disk that came with my QXL2 in '96.
This SMSQ 2.76 did contain SBasic but not yet the EE part as in later versions. It came pre-configured for different resolutions.
The CONFIG should be run under M$DOS to set the QXL.WIN devices but unlike later for QPC2, each .WIN must be assigned a letter corresponding to a partition. So the more .WINs you want the more partitions you need.
QXL276.zip
(721.09 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
BSJR

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

BSJR wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:29 am Below is a copy from the disk that came with my QXL2 in '96.
This SMSQ 2.76 did contain SBasic but not yet the EE part as in later versions. It came pre-configured for different resolutions.
The CONFIG should be run under M$DOS to set the QXL.WIN devices but unlike later for QPC2, each .WIN must be assigned a letter corresponding to a partition. So the more .WINs you want the more partitions you need.

QXL276.zip
BSJR
Thanks - that is useful - it is odd that of course this contains some files ready to be launched in DOS (QXL.BAT, CONFIG and the executable SMSQ versions) and other files which are to be launched from within SMSQ.

There are more files here than appear in the support disk on Dilwyn's site.

How do you replace SMSQ with SMSQ/e ?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

BSJR wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:29 am
You don't necessarily need partitions - you can use DOS SUBST.EXE to "create" drives from subdirectories containing additional QXL.win files and assign those. That might save you from re-partitioning your disk for more win drives.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The QXL.bat file is something that has written by a QXL owner. Not supplied by Miracle Systems.

The QXL was supplied with SMSQ which had a filename called SMSQ.EXE

The MSDOS executable is configurable with QL CONFIG programme. Which is quite hard as the MSDOS executable has to be copied to a DOD disk and EX config in SMSQ and access the file to configured on the floppy disk. No level 3 drivers in SMSQ.

SMSQ/E came along, the QXL SMSQ/E MSDOS executable can be called something like SMSQE.EXE, which works in the same way.

Storage is in a QWA file called QXL.WIN, WIN1 is on the C: drive, WIN2 is on D: drive, etc... can be changed by the SUBST command, as Tofro states.

SMSQ/E can use High Colours, but I found this to slow the system down too much.

Regards,

Derek