Expansion card plastic case parts

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Expansion card plastic case parts

Post by Derek_Stewart »

aalea wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:41 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:24 pm Hi Mike,

The PALs for Trump Card 2 Clone, are available on the Github site:

https://github.com/alvaroalea/QL_Trump2 ... -interface

The ROM can be found on the QL Homage, see link above.

The End Cap on the real Trump Card was Black Anodised Steel, I have a couple of end covers, which I was going do a STL file to 3D Print.

But the Trump Card used the Cover as a heat sink for the voltage regulator. So maybe a DC-DC converter, like a TRACO TSR-12450, in place of the 7805 regulator would solve this.
Please, be aware that the GAL files on my github are not the original one, but a compatible ones (only with minerva and only without aditional RAM) the original GAL that other people indicate me that work correctly with this PCB are in this forum.

For the case, I design one for the CST, it's here: https://github.com/alvaroalea/QL_CST_FL ... ee/main/3D
It do not match the trump, but include the original file for freecad, anyway I think it's easy to design one from zero than try to adapt it, but fell free to try.
Hi aalea,

I have no much work to do now, so I will get the Trump Card 2 built and see about getting the GAL code sorted.

I wonder if the GAL code from Truml Card 1 would work, or maybe the Tetroid Trump Card. I will get some GALs ordered..

I use Freecad, can alter the Qdisk v4 case file.

I only increased the length of the Sinclair Expansion Cover to suit the Trump Card. I do not have a 3D Printer so can not test the modified cover.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Pepperm wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:41 pm Thanks for that and thanks for all your work on the TRUMP 2 card, but I am still a bit confused.

1. Which GAL files work with the TRUMP 2 board and do they allow the RAM on the board to work as well as the floppy interface?
2. Do I have to have the Minerva ROM in the QL for the TRUMP 2 card to work correctly?

At the moment, when the QL boots the boot screen shows my Minerva ROM, my TK2 ROM and the Floppy ROM as having loaded but the QL gets no further. F1 or F2 do not get me any further than the boot screen information. I have a minerva/TK2 ROM fitted along with a 512K RAM expansion fitted under the 68008 processor. I have no RAM fitted to the TRUMP 2 card and the relevent links made on the TRUMP 2 board, selecting no RAM as per the schematic.

I am making progress with a 3D printable "sleeve" for the board. I'll post here when I am happy that it prints and fits well.

Mark
Hi Mark,

The Trump Card will work with any QL ROM, but Minerva is the best.

The Trump Card is designed to use all the QL memory map, except for the Rom Port area.

The expansion fitted to the 68008 is clashing with the Trump Card and the Toolkit 2 added to the Minerva ROM will have have to be disabled, as there is Toolkit 2 on the Trump Card.

What is the Floppy Rom?

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

By floppy ROM, I mean the EPROM on the TRUMP 2 card.

Mark

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

Pepperm wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:41 pm Thanks for that and thanks for all your work on the TRUMP 2 card, but I am still a bit confused.

1. Which GAL files work with the TRUMP 2 board and do they allow the RAM on the board to work as well as the floppy interface?
I can't test by myself, because I do not have any memory chip, but teorically the ones you can download from this post:
viewtopic.php?p=12219#p12219

Some people inform me that this work with my PCB, even without memory chips.
Pepperm wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:41 pm 2. Do I have to have the Minerva ROM in the QL for the TRUMP 2 card to work correctly?
Only if you use the gal code from by github.
Pepperm wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:41 pm
At the moment, when the QL boots the boot screen shows my Minerva ROM, my TK2 ROM and the Floppy ROM as having loaded but the QL gets no further. F1 or F2 do not get me any further than the boot screen information. I have a minerva/TK2 ROM fitted along with a 512K RAM expansion fitted under the 68008 processor. I have no RAM fitted to the TRUMP 2 card and the relevent links made on the TRUMP 2 board, selecting no RAM as per the schematic.

I am making progress with a 3D printable "sleeve" for the board. I'll post here when I am happy that it prints and fits well.

Mark
I face this problem also, in my case this was caused by a fake 74LS04 (U3) but you cause can be other.

TK2 ROM is not need, not harm if you have it with the minerva, I think you shall see the (C) and version number message two times, one from your TK2 ROM, and another from the Trump.
Disable it have the advantage to free this memory space for other interface, like for the qbuide. (because original trump card with 768kb of RAM ocupied all available space of memory but not the cartridge area)

If you have internal 512Kb has not sense to install memory in the trump card, at least not all, in the manual of the trump card is mentioned a TREY CARD version (i.e. with only 2 of the 6 memory chip installed, and probablly installing only 1 of the D2, D3 diodes) that can be used with a miracle's 512kb board expansion, but I never see any picture of one,

On the other side, I also have a memory interface: https://github.com/alvaroalea/QL_512kb_ ... _Expansion that can be configured as top 256kB, so you will have the same RAM that with and original Trump Card (and by the way, a bit less space in your desk).

With a internal RAM expansion, I prefer to use my GAL code (and minerva) because original trump card, on boot, maped the ROM to the RAM space area, and them move to another reserve area after inicializate the interface, this can conflict with any other RAM expansion, my code do not have this map mechanism, and put the ROM directly in the final location (and this is the cause you need minerva, because minerva fixed a bug that cause original rom to not inicializace if they are not in a specific place).

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:43 pm Hi aalea,

I have no much work to do now, so I will get the Trump Card 2 built and see about getting the GAL code sorted.

I wonder if the GAL code from Truml Card 1 would work, or maybe the Tetroid Trump Card. I will get some GALs ordered..
That will be great, because I have no time to do any test.

Tetroid do a clone, as far as I know, with the same circuit schematic, so his GAL shall work in theory.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Can you give me a definitive location to get the GAL and ROM images please. I'll get them and try them with my board and the various combinations of other expansions that I mentioned. I do have RAM chips that I think will do the job but also have the 60008 bases RAM expansion that can be enabled or disabled.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Here is the STL and some photos of my TRUMP 2 card expansion cover. Hope people like it.

Note that you will need to fit a modern switching regulator as there is no room for a heat sink or even a 7805.

Mark
Attachments
Trump Card Case long STL.zip
(108.48 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
IMG_7990.png
IMG_7989.png
IMG_7988.png
IMG_7987.png

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Mark,

Looks a good case.

I do not have 3D Printer, eo will hsve gind someone to print it for me.

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Where in the world are you Derek?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Pepperm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:38 pm Where in the world are you Derek?
Hi,

I live in Runcorn UK, same address you sent the Trump Card 2 PCB

Regards,

Derek