New microdrive internal replacement

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Popopo
Trump Card

Re: New microdrive internal replacement

Post by Popopo »

Pepperm wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:34 pm Hi Popopo

Is there a later version of the V1.4.1 PCB files yet please and maybe a code update for the Raspi Pico to accomodate the sound output discussed. Maybe even the current code supports sound?

Mark
Good morning Mark
Yes, there is a 1.4.b but just tested the basic features.
It has some sound system circuitry but didn't tested and not implemented by software yet. It allows some modification to add easily the already existed sound emulated system with ATtiny.
About the software update, firstly I need to modify all about the hardware shape and components before touch the software.

TODO order:
1. To add auto-load functionality (define in a CONFIG.CFG file some parameters like file to find on booting up to load automatically)
2. Some changes in the fonts for the display
3. Correct or modify some controls behaviors
4. Sound system is Dr. Gusman couldn't find the time to do it.

Said that, V1.4.1 has a lot of space free on the top and bottom to place a sound module that anyone could place. The Activity led is not use but still get active when the system access to the MDV, so that is the trigger to start the sound, as the sound enhanced emulator based in ATTiny does with vDrive (ie).

Now I am mounting 10 boards of ver 1.4.b and this afternoon I will check if sound system mounted on the board doesn't affect or produce side effects on the board (of course, it is not used yet, but that will not produce shorts).
1.4.b is also shorter and modified some components places to make easier to everyone to solder or track any issue.
Some pictures were posted on the FCBK group.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Thanks Popopo

I have 3x V1.4.1 boards that I could make up and let people in the UK have them, if anyone is interested?

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Pepperm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:35 pm Thanks Popopo

I have 3x V1.4.1 boards that I could make up and let people in the UK have them, if anyone is interested?
Of course please!!!!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Can the micropicodrive be coonected to the external Microdrive connector port, as an external unit?

Regards,

Derek
Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:03 pm Hi,

Can the micropicodrive be coonected to the external Microdrive connector port, as an external unit?
Hi Derek,
I think that is possible.
In fact, this month I want to shape the board to fit it into a external MicroDrive case, already available.
Just talking too light from my side, but I think there is not any problem for it since MDP behave exactly like the original one and connects same than original one.
So, if external EDGE port (in the lateral) is same system than internal 2 rows round pins system... it should be compleately possible.
In fact... if someone who already has a MDP and the time to test it, could confirm it.

Well... Derek, Is that port same than internal connectors?
I read it in Service Manual, but my memory sucks
If so... just a direct adapter could confirm it.

Edit: No, it requires additional circuitry, getting more info about it, but will not be a big problem to make it.
Last edited by Popopo on Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:51 am This what I would like, I do not want LEDs LCD screens, program selection control from Superbasic would be brillant.

Which is how the vDrive works there are a set of Superbasic extensions that control the mapping of microdrive images to Drive slots.

The Oqtadrive, I have some to make, but as far as I can see, it requires, a web or SSH/Telnet command line connection to control the Microdrive image selection to drive slots.

Maybe Superbasic extensions can be written, assuming the details of the hardware interface can be understood, and be accessed from the QL.
Let me answer better this...
That is not possible I'm afraid. Not at least by now...
The system just send a signal to start the Cartridge run, reading everything. The drive doesn't know what the system wants, so it reads all the belt till the system says "Stop".
In few words... the system just command to the driver... start/stop reading. The cartridge doesn't know what the system wants. Neither MDP does.
It doesn't mean that could not possible, need to deeper study, perhaps there is a way.
Whatever...
I am making a draft of a module to add (like a cartridge) to the MDP and send files images from PC or from your phone (yeah... there will be the Java APP for it with nice retro QL looking ;) ).
So you will be able to send files to your MDP by Bluetooth (more probably than WiFi).
I hope to give more news about it at the end of this week.

That will not be what you want (by now) to load from SuperBasic, but... pretty easy way also and not oLED or LEDs could be needed. Anyway, one LED will be on the cartridge to indicate loading process.
About saving by bluetooth... that could be another story, I need to gain experience.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Popopo, I think you've misunderstood what Derek is asking for.

I think he's asking for a way to change Microdrive images rather than the files on those images.

I'm guessing that the way the vDrive does it is to send command data on the data lines without turning on the motor. In this way the firmware knows that it's a command to the controller and not a request to read or write data to the Microdrive image.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:29 am Popopo, I think you've misunderstood what Derek is asking for.

I think he's asking for a way to change Microdrive images rather than the files on those images.

I'm guessing that the way the vDrive does it is to send command data on the data lines without turning on the motor. In this way the firmware knows that it's a command to the controller and not a request to read or write data to the Microdrive image.
Oh!
Interesting. I need to get well documented.
Thank you

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Breaking news.

Implemented a new feature.
Now there is a CONFIG.CFG file in the root directory.
You can define a default image to load (MDP or MDV) automatically at booting up the QL. That allows to save too on the default image too.
2. Ready for new screen modes (for bigger fonts) that could be implemented (very very big perhaps XD) before weekend.

Now a little busy translating some parts of the Next manual.

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Post by Chris_68 »

Great! Keep up the good work developing this !