New microdrive internal replacement

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: New microdrive internal replacement

Post by dilwyn »

Popopo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:36 pm Thank you for your feedback
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm In terms of appearance, that looks great. half the size of a microdrive cartridge.
Actually, as shown in the video... it almost fit the original case of the cartridge. WiP to do it possible.
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm what would you call it, a nano-drive cartridge or something?
This credit belongs to Dr. Gusman. I call it as it is printed in the PCBs that he designed and I keep in my versions. His child, his name. :)
Oops, I was referring to Stephen's mini-USB picture, not to your work or dr gusman's work, sorry, I should have made that clearer.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

I think my question was absolutely on topic, I repeat in hope for a reply:

Does this microdrive emulator allow cartridge image selection from the QL side?
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere already.
Didn't find something on Github project site, except the remark "so with this finally I got a full toolset for the QL".

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:02 pm
Popopo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:36 pm Thank you for your feedback
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm In terms of appearance, that looks great. half the size of a microdrive cartridge.
Actually, as shown in the video... it almost fit the original case of the cartridge. WiP to do it possible.
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm what would you call it, a nano-drive cartridge or something?
This credit belongs to Dr. Gusman. I call it as it is printed in the PCBs that he designed and I keep in my versions. His child, his name. :)
Oops, I was referring to Stephen's mini-USB picture, not to your work or dr gusman's work, sorry, I should have made that clearer.
No problem.
That's why comments about other projects should be in their own threads :)

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Peter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:53 pm I think my question was absolutely on topic, I repeat in hope for a reply:

Didn't find something on Github project site, except the remark "so with this finally I got a full toolset for the QL".
Working on it.
That's means, we are working in a "solution" without modifying the actual hardware.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Pr0f wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:21 pm The Pi Pico probably has enough horsepower to provide that sound directly in response to a request to 'run' the Microdrive motor, and requires only a single pin - connect a resistor to this pin and join it to the resistor that feeds the base of the transistor driving the speaker (I believe this components is close the Microdrives on the QL motherboard)
TR1 is the transistor, R95 is the 1K resistor between +5V and the base of the transistor and this connection comes from Pin 22 of the IPC (large chip near the microdrives)
A similar value resistor connected to this pin from the Pi Pico sound output pin (yet to be determined) could provide sufficient drive to make some sound for you on the QL speaker.
stephen_usher wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:20 pm You don't really need a PCB. My first version was a bit of vero board, a 14 pin socket and some bodge wires.
We are going to add the option to place the speaker, transistor and resistors.
Soon more news about which GPIO is designated to the sound :)

It will be optional to don't increase the cost if somebody hate the sound. What is also understandable.
Schems to add it to the previous versions will be release soon too.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Popopo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:44 pm
Peter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:53 pm I think my question was absolutely on topic, I repeat in hope for a reply:

Working on it.
That's means, we are working in a "solution" without modifying the actual hardware.
That sounds cool. Thanks for the info.
Even if you don't plan a hardware modification yourself, that would in principle allow a fully internal variant.
Without forking drgusman's RP2040 software or breaking the core concept.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Peter wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:58 pm That sounds cool. Thanks for the info.
Even if you don't plan a hardware modification yourself, that would in principle allow a fully internal variant.
Without forking drgusman's RP2040 software or breaking the core concept.
You are welcome Peter :).
We are planing the roadmap.
In particular for this project, there will be a version 2. That will not be retro-compatible.
Versions 1.x : {wifi, "HDD limited system" emulator, sound, improvements for self-building}
Version 2: {all info on oLED, some kind of soundcard}

And no, that will not be necessary be manage from actual soft. We are also thinking about developing soft from background and for QL original one, exclusively. If it is compatible with other solutions that's fine. But not the goal.

That's all about this singular project. Then we are going to develop other very interesting and of course... Open Source, Low cost, and user friendly magic devices.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Hi again :)

RC1 is almost done.
Need some checks but... this could be a very accurate result for sound module add-on.

That is an optional sound emulation.
Can be placed and disabled easily. The variable resistor could be replaced by a jumper, setting it in a default volume.
Hope for this week, to finish if there is not need of modification, and order some PBCs to test them out.

Cheers.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Hi all :)

Here we go with another video.
This one is about how to install the MDP (MicroDrivePico), some advises, tools needed and few things more to ensure anyone can install it, even if never open a computer before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpoAiAcQRLA
The Gerbers for this version are here and will be published on Github soon.

Cheers :)
Gerbers Ver 1.4.1.zip
Gerbers files for Driver and Cartridge
(140.6 KiB) Downloaded 3597 times

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Hi Popopo

Is there a later version of the V1.4.1 PCB files yet please and maybe a code update for the Raspi Pico to accomodate the sound output discussed. Maybe even the current code supports sound?

Mark