QL colour issues

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
issue5
ROM Dongle

QL colour issues

Post by issue5 »

Hi there, I've just got another QL and all works well apart from when I connect it to my TV via RGB to SCART lead the only colur I can get on screen is blue ie. text is all blue and background is black - my other QL works fine with this lead, so I assume it's a problem with this QL - could anyone point me in the right direction pls :-). I've added a couple of screenshots.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL colour issues

Post by tofro »

issue5 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:38 pm Hi there, I've just got another QL and all works well apart from when I connect it to my TV via RGB to SCART lead the only colur I can get on screen is blue ie. text is all blue and background is black - my other QL works fine with this lead, so I assume it's a problem with this QL - could anyone point me in the right direction pls :-). I've added a couple of screenshots.
That's actually a bit of bad news: The individual colour signals are directly produced by the ZX8301. If one or some (as in your case) of them are missing, it's somewhat likely that thing is toast.

Do you have a chance to check the RF output for colours?

Another possibility: very often, the expansion connector (left hand end) of the QL has bent pins. R, G, and B are exposed there, with the "proper" way of bent, I could imagine it affects the colour signals.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
issue5
ROM Dongle

Post by issue5 »

Thanks for that, I've got a ZX8301 I could swap and try, and I'll have a look at the oins too. I'll also try the RF signal and see if that's any good.
I'll let you know what the outcome is :-)

issue5
ROM Dongle

Post by issue5 »

Yep, as you rightly diagnosed it was a faulty ZX8301, swapped it for a good one and it worked perfectly - thanks for your expert advice :-)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

In this context it is probably worth mentioning that the monitor output of the QL is somewhat delicate in that it directly connects to the rare custom (and, meanwhile, pretty expensive) chip without any protection whatsoever. This makes it relatively sensitive to static charges (so, fingers off!) and spikes that might occur when the monitor is plugged under power - simply don't do that, have both monitor and QL powered off when plugging in the monitor.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO