Qshell

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Qshell

Post by Pepperm »

I was just wondering, does anyone have a pdf copy of Electronics & Computing magazine, June 1985, or more specifically part 1 of the Qshell article by Adam Denning please?

I have tried looking for the magazine online but can’t find it. I have the July to September issues and probably had the June issue and sold it. Typical eh!

Mark

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: Qshell

Post by NormanDunbar »

And there was I, all these years, thinking that I was the only person who read that magazine!

Electronics and Computing was the first magazine I ever subscribed to, and the only one to cease trading, take all my money, and never supply a single magazine! B'stards!

I remember the article on QShell, I've been looking for it for years, just out of interest, as I was too much of a novice to follow it properly when it first came out. It was a Unix style shell for the BBQL, written in Assembly Language, unless my old brain is mistaken!

I've also had no luck at all finding it through Google, archive.com, eBay etc. Sadly.

If I ever find it, I'll post details here. Good luck and happy hunting.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Pepperm wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:43 pm I was just wondering, does anyone have a pdf copy of Electronics & Computing magazine, June 1985, or more specifically part 1 of the Qshell article by Adam Denning please?

I have tried looking for the magazine online but can’t find it. I have the July to September issues and probably had the June issue and sold it. Typical eh!

Mark
Hi Mark,

I used read this when it was published, but never kept any of the magazines.

I can only find the PDF copies: March, July 1982, October 1983 on Archiv.org

I have found alot of old Computer and Electronics magazine at:

https://worldradiohistory.com/index.htm

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

NormanDunbar wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:12 am And there was I, all these years, thinking that I was the only person who read that magazine!

Electronics and Computing was the first magazine I ever subscribed to, and the only one to cease trading, take all my money, and never supply a single magazine! B'stards!

I remember the article on QShell, I've been looking for it for years, just out of interest, as I was too much of a novice to follow it properly when it first came out. It was a Unix style shell for the BBQL, written in Assembly Language, unless my old brain is mistaken!

I've also had no luck at all finding it through Google, archive.com, eBay etc. Sadly.

If I ever find it, I'll post details here. Good luck and happy hunting.

Cheers,
Norm.
Well, I have 3 issues that I can send you copies of. I am missing part 1 and I aren't sure if there are any more issues beyound part 4.

Mark

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks for the offer Mark, can you make PDF files out of the QShell article by any chance? That would be *my* best option, but obviously, this depends on you.

Thanks again.
Norm.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I'll have a look tonight for this - as I dumped a whole load of magazines off that site - it was a gold mine - was looking for old ETI magazines on it. I'm also wondering if I have anything on qshell - so will look through my QL info too.

I just moved to a Windows 11 laptop - so going through some small 'pain points' at the moment - menus not working the way they used to, old software not running correctly - you know the sort of thing...

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Ah! Windows 11. Ok, have "fun". Even my wife has given up on Windows after a debacle with Windows 10 taking over 24 hours while "applying updates, do not switch off". That was when she switched it on to send an important email.

Cheers,
Norm.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

NormanDunbar wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:37 pm Ah! Windows 11. Ok, have "fun". Even my wife has given up on Windows after a debacle with Windows 10 taking over 24 hours while "applying updates, do not switch off". That was when she switched it on to send an important email.

Cheers,
Norm.
I sometimes wonder what intelligent detection circuits Windows must have to always hit such situations on the spot.....

To be fair, however, Windows 10 has given me (as a whole) the most positive experience so far. You can't really say it's getting worse.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

NormanDunbar wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:45 am Thanks for the offer Mark, can you make PDF files out of the QShell article by any chance? That would be *my* best option, but obviously, this depends on you.

Thanks again.
Norm.
No problem, I'll scan when I get home tonight and post here, I guess that there won't be any copyright issues, this far away from 1985. How is it best to get them to you?

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

If you have a web site somewhere that I can access to download them from, a shared Google drive etc, failing that, just email them to me, norman {at sign} dunbar-it {dot} co.uk. Alternatively, zip them up together and upload to this thread as attachments. Then anyone who wants to can read them.

Cheers,
Norm.