OqtaDrive internal issues

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

OqtaDrive internal issues

Post by Pepperm »

Hi
I have made the Octodrive V1.2 on the internal PCB and fitted it into my QL in the place of microdrive 1. After directly programming the Arduino (because the Pi doesnt seem to want to) I have OqtaDrive sort of working. It essentially works but I have a problem where suddenly, maybe after loading something from the virtual drive I have created with a BASIC program on it, the web interface seemingly repeatedly resets. When this happens I cant do anything like load new drives or change the configs. Any ideas why this might be?

Additionally, how do I access the real hardware, microdrive 2? The mapping function on the config page doesnt seem to make any sense to me and any attempts at remapping the drive just doesnt work. There is mention of a link being made on the PCB in the instructions but I cant find this link and as there isn't a proper schematic I cant figure out what the issue might be.

Mark

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: OqtaDrive internal issues

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:06 pm I have a problem where suddenly, maybe after loading something from the virtual drive I have created with a BASIC program on it, the web interface seemingly repeatedly resets.
Are you maybe using an ad blocker or malware scanner add-on in your browser? I have seen cases where this was messing with the JavaScript code of OqtaDrive's UI, causing constant UI resets (approx. every 5 seconds). If so, try deactivating this add-on temporarily and see whether that helps. You could also try using a different browser or device (e.g. your phone), and see whether that makes a difference.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Nope, not that I am aware of. It does/did work at times. The only thing that blocks ADs in my network is a PiHole, which isnt browser based.

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

To analyze this further, you could open the web developer tool in your browser (Firefox and Chrome both have something like this) when the problem occurs. Switch to the console tab there and let it sit for a moment. Log messages should appear now. You can then right click in the console, save these messages to file and post here.

You can also check the network tab, which shows how the requests from the JavaScript code in the UI to the OqtaDrive daemon on your Pi are handled. Important here are the /status and /watch API endpoints. I suspect that /status can be fetched, while /watch is blocked for some reason (have seen this before with malware blocker). This results in constant UI reloads (every 5 seconds). The content of the network tab can also be exported to file.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

xelalex wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:41 pm To analyze this further, you could open the web developer tool in your browser (Firefox and Chrome both have something like this) when the problem occurs. Switch to the console tab there and let it sit for a moment. Log messages should appear now. You can then right click in the console, save these messages to file and post here.

You can also check the network tab, which shows how the requests from the JavaScript code in the UI to the OqtaDrive daemon on your Pi are handled. Important here are the /status and /watch API endpoints. I suspect that /status can be fetched, while /watch is blocked for some reason (have seen this before with malware blocker). This results in constant UI reloads (every 5 seconds). The content of the network tab can also be exported to file.
Cheers, Ill have a look at this when I get some time, but one thing troubles me. It is... If this works for everyone else, why doesnt it work for me. I am just using the standard image like everyone else (I hope). SO this is leading me to thing that it isnt a software issue but some sort of hardware thing. Could this happen if there was something wrong with my Arduino Nano maybe, or maybe some wiring issue with the internal PCB or one of its components. In the mean time I think that I'll shell out the extra cash for a genuine Arduino Nano and look at putting new boot loaders on my current Nanos.

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:55 am Cheers, Ill have a look at this when I get some time, but one thing troubles me. It is... If this works for everyone else, why doesnt it work for me. I am just using the standard image like everyone else (I hope). SO this is leading me to thing that it isnt a software issue but some sort of hardware thing. Could this happen if there was something wrong with my Arduino Nano maybe, or maybe some wiring issue with the internal PCB or one of its components.
At this point, I do not expect a h/w problem. It is more likely your browser and/or network than anything else. This problem is purely about the JavaScript code in the browser interacting with the OqtaDrive daemon process running on the Pi. The UI would even work if the Nano were missing.
In the mean time I think that I'll shell out the extra cash for a genuine Arduino Nano and look at putting new boot loaders on my current Nanos.
That's not really necessary. All OqtaDrives I built only have cheap knock-off Nanos. For those with old boot loaders, there is an according setting 'OLD_NANO' in /home/pi/oqtadrive.makerc, which needs to be set to 'y' for a Nano with old boot loader.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

xelalex wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:41 pm You can also check the network tab, which shows how the requests from the JavaScript code in the UI to the OqtaDrive daemon on your Pi are handled. Important here are the /status and /watch API endpoints. I suspect that /status can be fetched, while /watch is blocked for some reason (have seen this before with malware blocker). This results in constant UI reloads (every 5 seconds). The content of the network tab can also be exported to file.
OK, so I have tried Edge pointing at the RaspiW just sitting on its own and powered and the restarting of the UI doesn't happen :-) Neither does it when I point my iPad's Safari or Chrome browsers at the Pi. It just seems to be Windows 11 and the Chrome browser. I can move on :P :D

Looking at the Debug logs there is an error that I dont understand, attached. I dont have anything but the standard install of chrome and nothing goes through any maleware blocker that I know of on my local network.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-18 204138.png

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:44 pm Looking at the Debug logs there is an error that I dont understand, attached. I dont have anything but the standard install of chrome and nothing goes through any maleware blocker that I know of on my local network.
The '410 Gone' HTTP status code indicates that the /status endpoint was accessible once, but then for some reason was judged permanently gone, which is the meaning of 410. The OqtaDrive daemon would never send a 410, so I suspect a mishap in the browser. It's interesting that it says 'from disk cache'. It seems that the browser cached this error, and therefore never tries again. So clearing the browser cache might resolve the issue.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

xelalex wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:41 pm
Pepperm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:44 pm Looking at the Debug logs there is an error that I dont understand, attached. I dont have anything but the standard install of chrome and nothing goes through any maleware blocker that I know of on my local network.
The '410 Gone' HTTP status code indicates that the /status endpoint was accessible once, but then for some reason was judged permanently gone, which is the meaning of 410. The OqtaDrive daemon would never send a 410, so I suspect a mishap in the browser. It's interesting that it says 'from disk cache'. It seems that the browser cached this error, and therefore never tries again. So clearing the browser cache might resolve the issue.
Indeed, clearing the browser cache does seem to have fixed the problem on one PC. Thanks

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Pepperm wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:06 pm Hi

Additionally, how do I access the real hardware, microdrive 2? The mapping function on the config page doesnt seem to make any sense to me and any attempts at remapping the drive just doesnt work. There is mention of a link being made on the PCB in the instructions but I cant find this link and as there isn't a proper schematic I cant figure out what the issue might be.

Mark
Now that I have got a non resetting URL back, I am still having problems assigning a physical Microdrive to my system. I have changed the Arduino config and even SSL’d into the Pi and updated the config.h file (as shown in the attached), but I still can’t get the URL to allow me to set the hardware drive mapping as it is always locked.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0724.jpeg
IMG_0725.jpeg
image.png