New release Minerva4Q68 v1.3

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
XorA
Site Admin

Re: New release Minerva4Q68 v1.3

Post by XorA »

Do I need to create sq68ux.ini, and if so what should it contain?
No needed at all, everything can be passed on cmdline!

I just reproduced your crash, if you pass it an SD image it won't crash. Obviously this is very much still in development!

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

XorA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:22 am I just reproduced your crash, if you pass it an SD image it won't crash. Obviously this is very much still in development!
Well, since you need to specify a SMSQ/E image I thought it could run without a virtual SD card ;)

Looks very impressive, finally hi-res with speed :D

The Minerva4Q68 ROM image booted fine, but I got no WIN drives even when properly configured :( . However when I booted it from SMSQ/E using the loader image I got all the WIN drives as expected. Looks like a hardware initialisation issue. Well I need to dive into the SD driver internals anyway, the next project will probably be backporting the SD driver from either SMSQ/E or QLSD...

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

janbredenbeek wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:03 pm
XorA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:22 am I just reproduced your crash, if you pass it an SD image it won't crash. Obviously this is very much still in development!
Well, since you need to specify a SMSQ/E image I thought it could run without a virtual SD card ;)

Looks very impressive, finally hi-res with speed :D

The Minerva4Q68 ROM image booted fine, but I got no WIN drives even when properly configured :( . However when I booted it from SMSQ/E using the loader image I got all the WIN drives as expected. Looks like a hardware initialisation issue. Well I need to dive into the SD driver internals anyway, the next project will probably be backporting the SD driver from either SMSQ/E or QLSD...
That's a useful thing for me to know, the SD emulation is currently the bare minimum to get SMSQ/e to load something (there is no write, and no proper handling of multi block terminate).

Looks like 1st bug I just didn't check for SD file not existing before trying to reply to read CMD!

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

XorA wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pm That's a useful thing for me to know, the SD emulation is currently the bare minimum to get SMSQ/e to load something (there is no write, and no proper handling of multi block terminate).
Ah, that's why it crashed when I tried to write something to the FAT1_ drive ;)

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

For those of you who would like to try the Q68's high-resolution 1024x768 mode, there is now a new version 1.4 in the Working branch: https://github.com/janbredenbeek/Minerv ... ee/working

This implements the DISP_MODE command with option 0, 1 and 4 (1024x768x4). Sorry guys, for high-colour modes you still have to stick with SMSQ/E, though it would have been nice if the Q68 had supported 8-colour mode with higher resolutions (hint, hint ;) ).

Happy testing,
Jan

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

I'm currently busy installing a new mobile. If this is done, I hope I will remember this thread.

Am I right, that Minerva for the Q68 now supports the native resolution of 1024x768? for the Q68 (as on uQLx)? This would be great!

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

ql_freak wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:46 am Am I right, that Minerva for the Q68 now supports the native resolution of 1024x768? for the Q68 (as on uQLx)? This would be great!
Yes, it supports 1024x768x4, like uQLx. But please read the updated README, especially when you're going to use the Pointer Interface (this needs some patching to run in the extended resolution, which uQLx does automatically).

Jan

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Thank you a lot! That´s marvelous! Especially because it's possible on Minerva to work without Pointer Environment. When my new mobile will finally be working (still not successful to install the offline Wikipedia ZIM files from Kiwix on the SD card [Android 12]) I will have a look at it.

p.s.: If anyone will try: I have the Kiwix versions 2.2, 2.4 and 3.3.1 as *.apk files. On my LG G5 with Android 8.0 (installed with 2.2 and updated to 2.4 and now 3.3.1) the offline Wikipedia runs perfectly with the ZIM files (Wikipedia version from 2017) installed on the SD card (Kiwix 3.3.1).

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

janbredenbeek wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:24 pm For those of you who would like to try the Q68's high-resolution 1024x768 mode, there is now a new version 1.4 in the Working branch
Aweome! Many thanks!
janbredenbeek wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:24 pm Sorry guys, for high-colour modes you still have to stick with SMSQ/E, though it would have been nice if the Q68 had supported 8-colour mode with higher resolutions (hint, hint ;) ).
Major problem here is the lack of field updates for the Q68 logic.
Also, I didn't want to increase the number of modes too much.
What would you like? 1024x768 @ 8 colours?
By the way I think the PE does not support MODE 8...

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Peter wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:26 pm
janbredenbeek wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:24 pm Sorry guys, for high-colour modes you still have to stick with SMSQ/E, though it would have been nice if the Q68 had supported 8-colour mode with higher resolutions (hint, hint ;) ).
Major problem here is the lack of field updates for the Q68 logic.
Also, I didn't want to increase the number of modes too much.
What would you like? 1024x768 @ 8 colours?
By the way I think the PE does not support MODE 8...
That's the showstopper I'm afraid...
I particularly like the 512x384 mode which gives readable output without the vertical stretch of 512x256. This can be simulated in software (e.g. 1024x768 with CSIZE 2,1) or modification of the Minerva driver to work with mode 6, but with 8 colours available. In the latter case the PE would probably be the showstopper again (I could do without it but particularly like non-destructive windows).

Anyway, next thing to pay attention to will probably be the mouse driver. I have the source of Marcel's backport from SMSQ/E but for some reason it doesn't work with my mouse (where SMSQ/E does).