Mouse versus Graphics card

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Mouse versus Graphics card

Post by dilwyn »

I've got a rather odd fault appeared out of nowhere with the PC on which I use QPC2. Restarting the PC doesn't fix it, but then it's so random it's hard to tell.

If I move the mouse, the screen 2 display of the PC (on which the QPC2 normally runs) flashes to black screen for a couple of seconds then goes back to normal. This happens whether QPC2 or a Windoze program is in focus at the time. More rarely, both screens will do the same thing.

Apart from mouse movement (and even that's not 100% of the time - sometimes moving the mouse doesn't cause this), I can't pin down what causes it.

There was a recent change of keyboard, but even after swapping keyboard or using a different mouse, the fault persists. I've checked graphics card and cable seating and ensured the relevant drivers are up to date. Keyboard and mouse are both USB.

What would be the prime suspect in this case? Drivers? USB power? Graphics card?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Mouse versus Graphics card

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dilwyn,

This sort of problem is either software driver or hardware.

Has any driver software removed itself, see the Device Manager.

You could try reinstalling the graphics card driver, also make sure you are using the gRaphics card manufacturer driver, not the Microsoft drivers.

Try another graphics card.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:00 pm Hi Dilwyn,

This sort of problem is either software driver or hardware.
Yup, sure.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:00 pm Has any driver software removed itself, see the Device Manager.
No, was one of the first things I checked. Trying to dive into Device Manager at the point at which this happens is not easy unless there's a keyboard shortcut to bring up Device Manager without having to move the mouse. Need to check that.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:00 pm You could try reinstalling the graphics card driver, also make sure you are using the gRaphics card manufacturer driver, not the Microsoft drivers.
Tried that, it didn't seem to make any difference.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:00 pm Try another graphics card.
Don't have another one that fits this PC, but as it was built for me by my son and he accumulates PC parts like I accumulate QL things, that can be tried next time he visits (assuming he remembers to bring one).

One other aspect I didn't think of is that both monitors are connected differently, one by VGA and the other by HDMI (in fact, the "problem" one is a TV/Monitor combo without VGA conn and I don't have a suitable non-TV monitor to try swapping). Unfortunately, that one has no VGA connector, otherwise I'd try swapping them to see if the black screen follows, which might imply an issue with one of the screens over-sensitively blanking, or possibly a cable issue as the cables (including mouse cable) are tied together at the back (in case moving the mouse and so its cable finds a faulty connection in that bundle of cables). The joys of having an oddment of different everythings!

I've noticed that during the day the "problem" has got less and less as time went on, so I'm starting to wonder whether it might be something as simple as room temperature (heating wasn't on until 5pm). I'll check this tomorrow morning to see if the pattern repeats. Trouble is it's been so intermittent it's really hard to pin down. I'll try to keep a note of when it happens, any particular thing I was doing before it happened, and swap out as many things as I can think of (or at least what bits I have here to swap)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dilwyn,

You could boot up the PC in Windows Safe mode and load the drivers one by ones to see which is causing the problem or clash.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Has the PC done any automatic updates lately, that you could roll back.

As temperature may effect the problem, Are all the fans working at full speed, including any graphics card ones. And they are not clogged up with dust.

Could the PSU be running on the edge of it's power rating. I know it's just started do this problem. And I don't see how moving the mouse will cause any extra power consumption.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

wmic qfe list - that will get you a list of Windows updates applied...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Martin_Head wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:34 am Has the PC done any automatic updates lately, that you could roll back.

As temperature may effect the problem, Are all the fans working at full speed, including any graphics card ones. And they are not clogged up with dust.

Could the PSU be running on the edge of it's power rating. I know it's just started do this problem. And I don't see how moving the mouse will cause any extra power consumption.
The last update was 14th Feb, a few days before the problem appeared. There is an "available" feature update to Windows 10 22H2. I'll hang fire and see what effect if any that has. There was also a non-Windows update for the PDF24 software a few days before the problem appeared, which I doubt can have anything to do with things.
Fans working OK. I haven't checked the PSU, but I remember my son saying when he built it that the power supply is more than enough to allow additional tings to be added later if I choose. Taking the side off the PC and holding my hand near the critical bits does not feel any abnormal warmth and the air circulation doesn't seem to be restricted by any excess of cables inside. I'll see about downloading a temperature monitor software once I've researched a good one, as the BIOS one only seems to show idling speed temperature.

The "fault" showed itself this morning when the PC came out of sleep, the only software in use during sleep was Gmail open in Edge browser, but the screen blanking stopped happening after about an hour. The intermittency of this is driving me nuts!

Where's my son when I need him - very poor "after sales" service from him :D

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I've had similar things in the past and it's almost always worth updating the video driver to the latest available from the Vendor. Sometimes these glitches can leave errors in the Windows eventlogs - or you may even see some 'desktop.ini' files appearing on the desktop - they will have a datestamp in them for when the issue occurred if they exist.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Somewhat belated update on this issue I was having. It's taken ages to track down the fault and it's nothing to do with anything I originally thought.

Haven't been able to fix it, but now at least I know why it happens.

Believe it or not, the problem lies with the browser, M$ Edge! And its interaction with my system.

The issue arises when, or usually shortly after, I open a new tab in Edge. Never the first/only tab, and only if the tab opens with content (I generally let it open with some MSN news which I actually find useful). Whichever of the two screens contain the Edge browser, the other flashes briefly to black. I usually have a Gmail tab constantly open on one screen for email, while I use QPC2 or whatever task I'm up to on the other screen. It never crashes the PC or anything like that, it's just annoying.

I'm not sure if the issue arises because of pre-loaded content, syncing, how much system resources the browser tab takes (i.e. a mouse movement or keypress seems to overload it or something), or any of the other options available, I need to find time to go through them one by one to discover which is having this strange effect on my system.

Never come across this before, can sort of live with it now I know why its happening and confident the system ain't about to crash when it does happen, but would still like to get to the bottom of why it happens. At least I know now that closing the offending Edge tab makes the problem go away. Maybe I should try another Chromium based browser to see if this is specific to Edge.

Anyway, back to QPC2 to finish the game (there, back on topic).

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

It appears to be a known fault! It seems that the latest Win10 update (in 2021) or Win 11 show the problem on new tabs in Edge.

The fix is to go into System->Settings and disable hardware acceleration, or, use Chrome/Firefox/etc.

Obviously, I can't test this not having Windows or Edge.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/2410738

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.